Sign in to follow this  

E/K stock headlight question

Didn't I read somewhere that the earlier E/K headlights had a glass lens? What year did they switch? Any way of telling with touching, like the shape of the number plate/headlight shell?

Will the glass lens assembly fit in the shell that came with the plastic one?

If yours were glass I have a hard time believing you wouldn't know it. My S light which was glass it was very very very (yes thats 3 verys :D) obvious that it was glass.

10 to 1 your 03 is plastic.

Tap it with something and see if it "tings". :awww::lol:

:thumbsup::lol:

Oh and I think the shell is the same so yes the glass one would prob fit. Just dont know why you would want to put that heavy brick on your front end. No wonder why the S is like 292 lbs. dry weight. :devil::D

Nate, I know that mine is plastic. I know that the S has a glass one. It also weighs a lot more as you have pointed out. The early E/K's came with just a glass lens/reflector that allow a person to put in a MUCH brighter bulb without too much of a weight penelty. That is what I want to do for a 24 hour race comming up.

My 00 "E" had a glass headlight. 01 was glass. I don't know after that. I have not seen much advantage to just putting a higher wattage bulb in a reflector/lense assy designed for lower wattage. I know people do it all the time but I have not seen much benefit from it. Two 50 watt headlights will give far more light than a single 50 watt headlight with a 100 watt bulb in it.

10Guy I would suggest you just drop an 85W PIAA Super White H3 bulb in your own headlight. It isn't gonna melt nothin and it will be extemely bright. :thumbsup:

What are you trying to acomplish by going glass? Heat survivability???

Anyone who has run the PIAA bulbs will tell you the same thing. White and super bright. :devil:

A higher wattage standard halogen is a waste as Noble said. But the PIAA will make a night and day difference. :awww::lol:

My only concern is the heat and the fact that no one recommends going over 35 watts in plastic. I believe that is why suzuki changed the bulb output when they changed the housing. Glass came with a 55 in 2000, as was the 2001 apparently.

I don't want to put much into this plan though, if the cost starts to add up then I'll fabricate a mount to use with a dedicated off road light system to use only for night riding. I had already been considering just the idea that Noble mentioned, a pair of 55W PIAA's should work fine.

I think in 2002 they went to plastic, as for the more powerful bulb in a plastic one it will eventualy turn it yellow and you will see stress cracks in it.