Sign in to follow this  

Green sticker / Red sticker

I have a 03 Canadian model that when I first brought into CA, was told by DMV that could not be registered. I was told to remove the bike from CA, so I did what anyone else would do, registered it as a Vermont street bike, of course.

Anyway, I have several bikes, and one of their green stickers accidentally ended up on the bike, and I have been riding year round ever since. Except this past weekend, that is. I was told that the DMV issued me the wrong colored sticker since my bike is a 2003. He also noticed that the bike was a Canadian bike, and mentioned that the DMV was recently informed about Canadian bikes, and was supposedly providing red stickers for them even though the VIN# does not match red sticker requirements. -This is what prompted the DMV idiots to tell me to remove the bike from CA. That the bike did not "qualify" for a red-sticker due to the VIN number, and that they could not provide a green sticker either...

So, does the DMV now have their collective heads far enough out of their A$$es to actually issue red stickers? Or am I going to face the same idiotic BS as before?

Question #2: The VIN sticker for the Canadian bikes are different from the US bikes. Are the Canadian bikes from Europe any different from either of the above? Does anyone have pictures of each? I could solve the whole problem if I could either locate or make a 2002 sticker...

Please, do not waste your time bashing me. I only want to RIDE my bike, and I am not always in the mood for "full on" MX at the local track during the summers.

-MW

Crash,

i bought my 02 off a guy in Sacramento. He did not have the registration done at that time but had the proper paper work for it. I purchase the bike and filed in everything and was given a green sticker. I suggest you call Sacramento DMV and check with them. They seems to know alot better as compared to local DMVs.

Jesus you Californians have heaps of trouble registering bikes dont you? I cant believe some of the stories I read on this site about the detail your DMV will go to to stop a bike being registered!!! VINs etc etc

If you have an 03 or newer, forget it.

Don't even bother.

You are not allow to have a green sticker with an 03 or newer.

Some of you guys have a green for an 03.....you're lucky but sooner or later a ranger will find out and won't let you ride.

Westladog,

You are missing my point(s).

I admit that my green sticker is for another bike...

I am trying to find out if I will even be issued a Red sticker from the DMV. The last time that I tried, I was told to take a hike.

I am even looking into buying an 02 CRF, this way I can setup the 03 for Supermoto fulltime, and use the 02 year round for MX at state parks if I do not feel up to the big double or triples of some of the local tracks...forget about paying the $20, or only being able to ride on days and hours that they are even open.

I think that I need to make a VIN sticker that says 2002 on it...

Or start saving my pennies for on 02 and convince the wife that it is the right thing to do...

-MW

Not sure what you mean by 'VIN sticker' but the VIN number that is stamped into your frame has the model year encoded into it (it's the 10th digit), that's what a knowledgeable ranger will look at.

Not sure what you mean by 'VIN sticker' but the VIN number that is stamped into your frame has the model year encoded into it (it's the 10th digit), that's what a knowledgeable ranger will look at.

...and if you don't think they'll check, take a look at this post that just showed up on the General forum a few minutes ago: The tree huggers are winning :thumbsup: