Sign in to follow this  

XC or MX

I've been ridding street/track for many years, but have decided to put away the road machine (just sold my Honda 954RR), and get into the dirt. Trying to decide:

1. XC or MX (Off road or Motocross)

2. If MX, which bike.

I think a 250 would be good for me (185 lbs, and sorta "Old")

I doubt I would appreciate the difference in XC and MX for a while, but expect I would grow to appreciate the supension improvements on the MX over time. However, right now, the local dealer has $1000 off all dirt bikes, which means a new Yamaha TTR-250 could be had for $3400, versus the YZ-250F for $4700. (or Suzuki RMZ-250, or KX-250F for $4600)

So if I decide to bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the MX, any thought on Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, or Honda? My 954 was agreat bike, so I do believe in Honda quality, but my guess is the others are good machines as well, and are 4 to 5 hundred dollars cheaper.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but a quick search turned up nothing, so any comments (or links to previous posts) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Find any year CRF 450 and I guarantee you will not be disappointed, ever or anywhere. The ultimate do it all bike. You can XR or TT on CRF but trying to MX on on one of these bikes will only leave you saying " I should have bought a CRF!!"

a mx bike only has better suspension for mx. if you are riding off-road/mixed terrain, an mx bike will have worse suspension for you than a good off-road bike. unfortunately, there aren't alot of good off-road bikes from the japanese mfrs, which is why i have a ktm. the crf450x has potential, but it looks like it will be as much of an overweight pig as the wr450 (which has pretty nice suspension, ihmo).

the mx 4-stroke 250's are going to be a big drain on your wallet and time in the long run. for some people that's worth it for racing 125 class mx. for me, i think they are silly bikes.

Hi John,

Welcome to TT! Hey, you live close to me, and I have both an XR250 and CRF450. If you want to try them out some weekend, PM me and we'll set something up. An XR400 is pretty much like the XR250, just heavier and more power. The CRF450 is way lighter than the XR400, has better suspension stock, and has better power IMO. Riding an XR400 fast is scary, at least for me, and jumping is problematic. Riding my CRF450 fast is a blast, and airtime is a real treat -- I love my CRF.

A CRF450 in the dirt is comparable to your 954 on the street/track. An XR400 feels more like a standard streetbike feels. :thumbsup:

PM me if you want to test ride. -Mike- :devil:

Your terminology is a bit off.

MX = Motocross

XC = Cross Country

XR = Honda XR line, big heavy air cooled dirt bikes.

I like my big heavy XR400, as it suits my casual riding style and low maintenance tolerance. There are a lot of slightly used XR250's and XR400's for sale right now. Everyone wants the latest and greatest.

If you plan on riding MX courses on a regular basis, skip the XR. On the flip side, XR's are great learning bikes and have a high tolerance for being dropped. No radiators to break.

My plan is to keep my XR400 as a dual-sport bike and eventually get a light YZ250F or another 250F for a light track and trail bike.

I live in the Bay Area, which dealer is blowing bikes out the door?

Hi Berkeman,

Wow, generous offer. I may take you up on it. Thanks.

MMotorhead,

Check out Grand Prix motorcycles:

2344 El Camino Real

Santa Clara, CA 95051

(408) 246-7323

I was in there yesterday, and they have all 2004 dirt biks $1,000.00 off list. That means YZ250F = $4699.00

Check out Grand Prix motorcycles:

2344 El Camino Real

Santa Clara, CA 95051

I like Grand Prix as well. That's where I bought berkeboy's KX-85 a couple months ago. I'd also suggest calling Honda of Milpitas if you're interested in red. Their parts counter lost some dirtbike talent a few months ago (Nikky and Bill), but overall they're still a good shop. They also sell a lot of bikes, so you can probably get a pretty good deal.

http://www.hondamil.com/ :cry:

The Honda CRF250X is a great trail bike, and I think it'll do some MX. You might check that one out.... :cry:

The XRs are pretty good too if you like Honda, but they're in no way an MX jumping bike. The XRs are very reliable and low maintenace.

Since you've been riding for many years and your street bike wasn't a cruiser, I think you'd like a MX (YZF, CRF, SX, etc.) or a Real enduro (WR, CRX, EXC, etc.) over the TTR bike. The price is higher on those, but the performance is far better too. You'd get bored soon with a TTR.

As far as MX or enduro bike, it depends on what you would like to ride on - for mostly MX tracks, get an MX bike - for mostly trails, you might like an enduro bike more.

Didn't notice where you live, but California has some strict rules for a bike to be legal to ride off of close course areas. Check to be sure the bike will pass inspection for riding in your state for the areas you woild like to ride in.