Sign in to follow this  

New 4 Stroke 250??

Ok, I am 6 1' 200lbs with gear going to use as a playbike/trail bike. Is the 05' YZ the best bike for the job??

Don't forget to consider the WR250F. It has a lower 1st gear and a higher 5th gear than the YZF. Perfect for crawling through the woods, and plenty of power for blasting up hills and ravines. The electric start is pretty handy too.

Don't forget to consider the WR250F. It has a lower 1st gear and a higher 5th gear than the YZF. Perfect for crawling through the woods, and plenty of power for blasting up hills and ravines. The electric start is pretty handy too.

I agree...consider a WR....you can pretty much do as many mods. as you like to "YZ" it out to your own spec., while still preserving the "woods/trail" features many of us desire...

Yeah, you can change the sprockets, but you'll pull the entire range of the gearbox up and down. You won't be able to duplicate the WR's wide ratio gearbox this way. By pulling the YZ's ratio down with a sprocket change, you'll take even more off of the top end. Conversely, by using sprockets to increase the top end of the YZ, you'll lose some of the bottom end torque.

Changing the sprockets on the YZ is perfect for a lot of people, and plenty of folks ride the YZF in the woods; I was just pointing out something to consider before you buy.

It's a lot easier to make a WR's engine run like a YZ, than it is to make a YZ's transmission act like WR.

Check 'em both out, then get what's right for you. That's why they make both kinds.