Sign in to follow this  

the foot???

hello all, i just have a question since i am new to riding dirt. i have been riding street for the past 4 years and now i want to try dirt riding. my question is about why you stick out your inner foot in a turn? is it natural? is it like droppin a knee into a corner on the street? thanks

totally lost newbie

Correct, it does help with balance but ultimately it makes you do the offroad golden rule "weight the outside". You kick your inside leg up (don't drag it on the ground :thumbsup:) and that forces your body to be more centered on the bike and therefore weighting the outside peg.

ohh, ok i got it now, silly me :devil: so do you learn how to do it? or does it just come naturally? this whole dirt thing is alot more different than i thought it would be :thumbsup:

You don't stick your foot out but forward. This does help with balance as was said before but the main purpose is to weigh the front end and help it stick in the corner and the foot is already at front axle if you need to dab if you slide.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I asked this question last year. I think I titled the post "cornering techniques" in the general forum as we had no MX or Off road techniques forums back then. maybe do a search and see all the responses.

The inner foot forward seemed for one reason, but in semics MX book he sais it was for another reason and Dwight pretty much said the same thing..... I think its a technque thats more used on MX corners then off road..... but I'm an idiot. :thumbsup:

Look at photos of Scott Summers in a corner. He is the king of this technique in Off Road racing.

Just as you inter the corner you sit well forward , head forward and elbows up. THROW your leg forward , foot reaching for the front axle. Rail berm , Gas on. This technique doesn't work as well with no berm. Then it becomes the weigh the outside peg and slide deal.

Cher'o,

Dwight