Sign in to follow this  

The tree huggers are winning

Today I was hard up to ride my 03 CRF 450 that originally received a green sticker. I drove to Metcalf county park and was surprised to learn they were closed on Wednesdays. I continued on to Hollister Hills now 1.5 hours from home. The ranger at the gate saw the green sticker, then checked the frame which shows 2003. He asked if this was the right sticker then called it in to the DMV. He came back out, ripped the green sticker off my bike then told me DMV would mail me a Red one and sent me home. I am so discouraged that I started thinking I need to find a new sport. Eventually they might shut us down completely. Im afraid that we are losing the battle. I hope it turns around before our ability to ride is gone.

yeah tell me about it. I love riding more than anything, but i too am afraid dirtbikes will become extinct. cant let that stop me tho. EVerything thats fun has something or someone against it.

yeah tell me about it. I love riding more than anything, but i too am afraid dirtbikes will become extinct. cant let that stop me tho. EVerything thats fun has something or someone against it.

Extinction won't stop me. I'll ride anyway and if the ranger doesn't like it, he can try and stop me. :thumbsup:

Welcome to California.

The whole red/green sticker thing is a pain. I really wanted to buy a CRF450 but can't justify spending that much $$$ on a bike that I can only ride 1/2 a year.

All the green sticker bikes are 20-30 lbs heavier too.

The next thing they are hitting us with is sound. I've heard rumors the 96db limit might go way down which would turn all our hi-tech thumpers into XR's if we have to run at 90db or less.

Arg,

i feel your pain, I've been to California twice in my 16 years on this planet, and it just looks like the best place for riding whether you do mx,trails or desert or whatever type of riding you like Cali is the place! All the riding videos like Crusty, are 70% cali! It's too bad NJ doesn't have any good natural terrain spots, thats why sandpits are the big deal around here. Cali has tons of places, NJ has a few good pits if you're into "freeriding" but you get lynched if you get caught. Riding 1/2 the year is better then riding 1/2 the year and worrying about getting caught! You guys dont have it that bad :thumbsup:

Just take a good look at why they are winning. Hmmm I wonder... oh could it be because they are not scared to stick together unlike many of the dirt bikers I have run across. All the dirt bikers talk a good game but can not play the game they talk about. Dirt bikers which are few and far between that ride where they want when they want are told they are ruining the sport. Look in the mirror guys you are the ones ruining the sport by not sticking up for your right to ride. Nobody is ruining my sport. I ride where I want and do not let anybody bring me down. I have ran from the cops both on a bike and car getting away every time so dont let me here your sniviling about getting busted and no place to ride. You have no place to ride because you do not want to fight for it! You cant rely on the AMA to help out that is a scam if I ever saw one. Just some guy who cut a deal with a lawyer to fill their pockets. Hell it would not suprise me a bit if the pres of the AMA was a treehugger.

I could have sworn that anything 03 and older was green! WHAT HAPPENED!

I think someone screwed up! Better double check your vin and call DMV yourself...

Man that sucks!! I would be pissed off pretty bad. I have an out of state sticker for my bike and it is good year round anywhere... unless the ranger just decides to rip it off since the WR is a red bike. Maybe the ranger is just an eco-nazi and felt like some street justice that day.

I could have sworn that anything 03 and older was green! WHAT HAPPENED!

I think someone screwed up! Better double check your vin and call DMV yourself...

I thought it was '02 and older? :thumbsup:

It should be 02 or older get the green sticker.

I would love to see the looks on the faces of these idiot Rangers that are being overly judicious in the enforcement of these rules when they are standing in the unemployement line due to closures from lack of riders. Of course, the closures are coming from other areas, but never the less, the bike had a green sticker, should have been left alone.

Just my $.02

MW

It should be 02 or older get the green sticker.

It is '02 and older for the green sticker to be legal to ride.. until the end of this month. I never heard of a ranger going _that_ far by checking with the DMV. That's a shocker.

My buddy has an '03 KTM 300MXC that he has to wait till Oct. 1 to ride. His buddy has an '02 KTM 300MXC and can ride it ANYtime he wants.

California has become, and is the breeding ground and battleground for the rest of the U.S.

Say goodbye to what once was a beautiful state. It is now a friggin' police state of the highest(lowest form of life).

Just take a good look at why they are winning. Hmmm I wonder... oh could it be because they are not scared to stick together unlike many of the dirt bikers I have run across. All the dirt bikers talk a good game but can not play the game they talk about. Dirt bikers which are few and far between that ride where they want when they want are told they are ruining the sport. Look in the mirror guys you are the ones ruining the sport by not sticking up for your right to ride. Nobody is ruining my sport. I ride where I want and do not let anybody bring me down. I have ran from the cops both on a bike and car getting away every time so dont let me here your sniviling about getting busted and no place to ride. You have no place to ride because you do not want to fight for it! You cant rely on the AMA to help out that is a scam if I ever saw one. Just some guy who cut a deal with a lawyer to fill their pockets. Hell it would not suprise me a bit if the pres of the AMA was a treehugger.

You have it partially correct. Yes, our only viable strategy is to unify and fight, using the same tactics as the enviros. That is, hire professionals, lobby in Sacramento and litigate. If you can't throw punches in court, you are done. As for flaunting the existing laws, no way. If you have nothing to lose, great, break the law and run from the cops. I'll keep an eye out for you on Cops. Many of us have too much to lose to act this way.

And while I agree fully that the red/green program is bogus, it is NOT NEW, has been widely publicized for years and is easy to follow. You may be one of the very very few who actually didn't know their bike was red. But for the majority who knowingly buy red sticker bikes and then whine when the rules are enforced, it is hard to be sympathetic. Yes, the rule stinks, but you can't say you didn't know.

To end with some hope, there are rumors circulating about yet another change in the red/green sticker program. Supposedly doing away with red stickers completely. There is always hope!

U guys sure do cop it hard in the US

here in AUS most rangers are cool they just wave as long as you arn't making more trails 1 in 10 will try and stop you but there in a car like i cant get away :awww::lol:

i have incounterd many nutcase greenies you have to watch for strung up wire on single track trails. dangerous almost lost my head once since then i just feed on dust and watch out.

anyway back on the point as more and more trails become blocked off and illegal to ride we need to band together we have the right to ride if we make enough noise (keep ur corks in i am talking complaints) we will get heard.

but we need to fix some problems so that we have some hope of living together with those anoying nature boys because i doubt we can out number them or overpower them the law seems to be on their side

if we can cure the problem of idiots ripping up creeks swamps and anything else that might be fun as well as

people pulling every possible exhaust baffle and silencer out to gain 2hp to ride trails it aint no race out out there if it dont got more power buy a bigger bike

then stick to the trails dont make more

then maybe we can come to some aggreement to get some free areas that we can rip in and some for them to hug trees have there magic mushrooms.

but basicly i dont think we can beat them we have to live with them :thumbsup::devil::lol::D

Today I was hard up to ride my 03 CRF 450 that originally received a green sticker. I drove to Metcalf county park and was surprised to learn they were closed on Wednesdays. I continued on to Hollister Hills now 1.5 hours from home. The ranger at the gate saw the green sticker, then checked the frame which shows 2003. He asked if this was the right sticker then called it in to the DMV. He came back out, ripped the green sticker off my bike then told me DMV would mail me a Red one and sent me home. I am so discouraged that I started thinking I need to find a new sport. Eventually they might shut us down completely. Im afraid that we are losing the battle. I hope it turns around before our ability to ride is gone.

You guys are lucky to even have any trails to ride in, in norway its mx or a few rare short enduro tracks. NOTHING compared to the great riding areas you get. Im moving... must have riding areas

:thumbsup:

You guys are lucky to even have any trails to ride in, in norway its mx or a few rare short enduro tracks. NOTHING compared to the great riding areas you get. Im moving... must have riding areas

:thumbsup:

I'm glad I live next to a trail in the fields, when I had my 450 it was getting boring to ride there and an mx track just opened up right when something broke inside the engine, anyways I'm getting a new bike real soon so I'll be on that track for sure. Out in the country where I live you dont have to really worry about those eco freaks around here, but there is alot of people starting to move in the neighbor hood so as long as I keep the bike stock I hope no one gets bothered.

Our hobby is riding...tree huggers hobby is stopping us from riding...and until we make fighting tree huggers an extra hobby of ours, we are going to lose everytimes.

One more thing to keep in mind...STOP voting for the damned democrats...99.999% of democrats support closing public land to dirt bike use. :thumbsup:

I'm an Independant, and damned proud of it!!

I agree on the democrats thing. Everytime they vote for more wilderness, roadless areas, more restrictions, etc.. Plus it's always democrat Presidents who designate the vast majority of National Monuments, which are just as bad as wilderness areas for us.

Of course, Republicans are full of [@#$%&*!] too on many things, they are just in the corporate pockets instead of the big money greeny pockets. :thumbsup: So there better at least as far as riding goes.

Except sex, haha. :cry: :cry:

So, how many of you took the time to send in a comment ANY comment about the Proposed National OHV Rule? :cry:

If not then what's your excuse?

Here is an article clipped from Offroad .com.... Were all involved in keeping our bikes in peerfect shape. The same effort should go to protecting our riding spots.

Guest Editorial

A Call to Quills!

by: Del Albright ( Edited due to legnth)

An Alternative to Closures

No more Mr. Nice Guy. I’ve had it! Our recreation is in serous jeopardy, I don’t care what you ride. Whether a dirt bike, buggy, 4wd, ATV, PWC, sled, or wake skates behind a boat, WE are in trouble.

I am writing this as me, Del. I am not claiming to represent any group or organization that I work for, represent, or am a member of. This is from my guts - telling me we had better change the way we’re doing business, or we’re gonna lose our motors. I am getting firmer and staunched in my positions on land use and access. But we need an army of people getting in the game so our voice can be heard.

Our image is so tainted we’re an easy target for bad press and closures due to the few yeh-hoos and dip-wads out there.

We deserve some of the bad press – we are not policing our own.

By not showing up and speaking out as much as our opponents, we are the vast minority, under dog, get stepped on groups.

We are a HUGE army waiting for the call to help manage our public lands, but we’re not there in mass.

We wait until the gate is up before we ask for help or get involved.

Now with that in mind, I have some fixes. If you've read this far, I am HOPEFUL that you will do more than read. ACT. Act now. Get your friends to act. Do not take my gut instinct, based on 22 years in this business, lightly. Stand up and quit rolling over! Get aggressive and assertive about your recreation. Here’s how in simple terms:

FIRST: Let’s clean up our web sites and bulletin boards where some people think they can talk like inmates and make us look like idiots. Clean them up now. Change the rules of posts if you’re a moderator. Get rid of the idiot behavior and let’s start showing some responsibility towards shaping our image. If you’re posting to BBS’s, then post like an adult. Get a private list somewhere if you need to launch out; but not where our opponents can see you.

SECOND: if you’re not a member of EVERYTHING you can afford to be, then you’re not in the game all the way. JOIN every local, state, and regional organization you can. And JOIN BlueRibbon Coalition. It is through membership that we build strength and find money to fight the battles.

THIRD: Be an advocate for your sport. Include others. Do ride a longs. Get political. Do not think you can let someone else do it for you. Get some training. Get some help. Do whatever it takes, but do it now, before YOUR gate goes up. Get a Trail Patrol or Neighborhood watch started on your trails. Advocate for responsible use; dump the dip-wads.

FOURTH: Set the example in everything you do in your sport. Ride responsibly. Camp responsibly. Drink responsibly. Behave like EVERYONE in the world is watching and evaluating your actions. Have fun, yes. But realize we are threatened like never before. I’ve never seen so many closures and potential closures on the horizon. I’ve been at this a long time. Please take heed and act now.

FIFTH: Pick up your pen. That’s why I called this article a “Call To Quills” (pens). Pick it up and write a letter. I don't even care to whom you send it. Just start to write. Tell your congressman how you feel about multiple uses of public lands. Tell your Commissioner/Board of Supervisors how you feel about your right to ride responsibly. Tell somebody something. Get your voice out there. Be heard. Be in the game. Tell them you’re tired of rolling over and compromising. Tell them you want no net loss of public land riding opportunities. Tell them no more unreasonable compromise that means loss for us.

We are not well-represented when the letters are counted at the end of the day. We have to change that, or just give up the effort. I for one am not ready to roll over or give up any more. I'm in there with teeth barred now.

Do it now. Do something. Please do not sit by and wait. We can't wait. Emergency closures should be reserved for when management fails. Well, if you’re not in the game, then chances are, management will fail. Pick up that quill.

Del

Visit my web site for more help: www.delalbright.com