Sign in to follow this  

how much did you pay ??

how much did you pay to have the dealer check your valves ? since i dont know how and dont want to screw anythign up trying it myself.

dude, do it yourself. The manual explains it pretty well. Just take your time. I never knew how to do it but when i had my raptor everyone told me to do it and i was like the hell with it and i did it. Been doing my own crap ever since. Dont give the stealership your money. They can give two craps about your stuff. IN fact, how r u gonna know if they even checked it? atleast check it yourself. If u want, have a place shim thhem, but checking it is pretty easy. Im about to shim the valves this weekend. ill let u know how it goes.

Can you wash your own clothes? Make your own lunch? Then you can check your own valve clearances. Seriously, it's not difficult.

Just remember:

1. You don't have to remove your radiators like it says in the manual.

2. You will need a torque wrench, and some narrow feeler gauges. You can trim down a regular set of cheap feelers or buy a special set from here if you don't know how to use scissors.

3. If you end up measuring out of spec, reshim the valves. It's not difficult. You can get shims from the dealer parts counter, or even better, from the service counter. The service guys will likely trade you straight up for your existing shims.

4. If you shim then be careful tightening the cam cap bolts, use the torque wrench or risk stripping things.

I'm getting ready to check mine myself. I'm an electrical guy so as soon as I pick up a wrench people run for thier lives! :D

Read through the manual, I've never done it before but it appears to be straight forward. Don't forget the torque wrench! :D Even shimming the doesn't seem that bad, just remember where all of the shims go! :thumbsup:

Good Luck! :snore::devil::awww::lol::D:lol:

dont go cheapo on a tourqe wrench the more you pay the more accurate i have a fairly good one and the difference between a much cheeper one is alot it can vary up and down :thumbsup:

well i did it myself and im sooo happy ! piece of cake... i was just worried about screwing things up ! :awww: now i feel stupid :thumbsup::devil:

well i did it myself and im sooo happy ! piece of cake... i was just worried about screwing things up ! :D now i feel stupid :awww::lol:

:thumbsup::devil: