Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-110 vs. KTM 50cc

I'm ready to upgrade my 8 yr old son from his current xr70 to either a KTM 50 Senior Adventure or a KLX/DRZ 110. He has taken a real interest in riding the track lately so I'm leaning towards the KTM as it is lighter and better suspension. Anyone care to share their DRZ 110 experience?

The DRZ/KLX 110 is more of a starter bike, just for a little bit bigger kid. I've got an 11 year old girl on one for her first bike. I'd start making the move to a clutch bike, and one with better suspension. Especially if he rides mx

I work in a dealership that sells both the DRZ110 and KTMs. My 7 year old daughter rides the DRZ110 in the motos and it is a really good bike. After working around KTMs I would never own one. Just too much maintenance and too hard to get parts.

R344 is dead on. The KTM is a lighter and quicker bike. Especially for MX. However, if something breaks (and it will) on the KTM. Parts are hard and expensive to get. No way would I switch to the KTM. Just for that reason alone. The 110 (my boy rides one) is heavier but as far as I can tell a good bike. I have no complaints about it. Just an opinion.

He ought to be big enough for a kx65. He would have to learn the clutch but the seat height is pretty close to the 110. It is probably lighter too.

If your son is capable of riding a KX65, get one of those. Reliable, and quite track-worthy.

The Sr Adventure would be a step down in performance, though it does have better suspension than the XR70. The Pro models are where the fun is at.

The KTM Sr Pro is quick, has good suspension, is light, but does need much more maintenance. All the racing 50's have their issues. Most parents that race 50's breathe a sigh of relief once their child graduates to a 65 bike, and many that race use the 65 as a practice bike and only touch the 50 on race day.

too bad a new pro senior is $3400 pretty steep for a little bike when you can get a rm65 new for $2600.

also you can buy a good used kx or rm 65 for $1500 and put a auto clutch in it till he's ready to use the manuel clutch. :cry:

I'd say go to the KX65 too. Don't even think about the KX60, piece of junk. My son went from a XR50 to the KX65 no problem. It did take him a while to get used to clutching - but he'll have to tackle that at some point anyone. The power on the KX is pretty good too...you don't have to rev it out to ride it.

Kit

I'm ready to upgrade my 8 yr old son from his current xr70 to either a KTM 50 Senior Adventure or a KLX/DRZ 110.

Hate to say it, but the move to a 110 from XR70 is really not that great of a move. you are only talking about 1" seat height difference. ANd although the 110 is a bigger motor, it is not necessariy a faster bike than a 70. Grown ups think the 110 is faster because the adequate torque available will not bog the bike down. But with kids riding these bikes, the two bikes are just about even. Also the 110 has springs that are stiff, adult ready. It's a wonder how the kids really don't seem to mind the bone jarring ride.

what you want is a Polini 4 stroke that is about to hit the USA.

XP-4.jpg

This is the best of both worlds, true MX Marzocchi suspension on a mama FREAKKIN' PERIMETER -0h yea baby, PERIMETER - Polini built frame (far more rigid than KTM Sr pro) with a genuine HONDA XR50 3 speed auto clutch motor.

:cry:$2499 - look out BBR :cry: :cry:

And Polini also is offering the 100+cc big bore kit too, but because Polini is using the Honda motor, you can get a big bore kit anywhere else from aftermarket vendors. ANd since the motor's rock solid honda, you can also dump the heavy auto clutch setup for a manual hydraulic magura clutch setup and get that motor to spool up much faster for MX stuff.

Definitely try to stay away from the KTM 50's. They break down way too much. I fought with my son's for 5 months, riding once or twice then takign it to the shop for 2 weeks to get it fixed. Finally, my dealer said the parts were backordered because they couldn't make them as fast as they were breaking, so i traded it on the DRZ 110. Awesome bike, but i wish i would've went to the RM65. But my son's only 7, so i didn't want him having to worry about using a clutch. The biggest problem with racing a 110, is that if its an AMA sanctioned race, the 110 has to race in a bigger class than the 65. My son was racing against 10-11 year olds on 80's and 85's jsut because his bike was a 110. Of course there is no where near the power in the 110 thats in the 80/85's, but we had no choice. I would really recommend going with the 65, although the 110 is great and dependable. All we had to do to the bike was put a FMF pipe and some bark busters and he was zooming around the woods in no time.