Sign in to follow this  

CRF starting drill

Sorry for all the questions lately but I just got this bike and I'm laid up with an injury so not much else to do. I was wondering if you guys normally give the throttle a twist or two on a cold engine. My Yamaha DID NOT like the throttle twisted unless it had been sitting for at least a couple weeks. One poorly timed twist and the plug would foul. Once I got the drill down it was not a problem. Just trying to see what you guys do. Any and all tips are welcome. Man, I can't wait to ride again!

Every bike is different. Experiment and find that "zone" for your CRF. I give it a twist, two kicks, then the choke, and it starts right up.

I turn on the choke.. just kick it threw about 2 times.. then set the piston ( hard spot with the kick starter) then WAM with no throttle,, and she starts up 1st time evrytime

No, no, no, no, NO! They all have it wrong! :lol:

If your bike is cold use the choke.

If your bike is hot use the hot start.

If your bike somewhere inbetween don't use either.

Don't touch the gas. :awww:

Slowly, turn the motor over until just past the point of resistance. Stop immedietly! Now you're at TDC just past the compression stroke. Bring the kicker back up all the way. Then give it one FULL kick. It doesn't have to be hard or fast. Just a FULL (top to bottom) deliberate kick.

First kick every time. :devil:

This technique was mastered on an xr600. The only difference was on that you had to manually pull the decompression lever while you were searching for TDC. The XR600 started as easily as any modern 4-stroke, far too many people just didn't know how to do it. Sad part is I could spend 5 seconds showing the procedure. It's a little harder to explain it. :thumbsup:

We live on top of a hill, out in the country.......

I've never had to kick start my bike when its cold!

:thumbsup::devil::awww::D:lol:

Kind of agree with that. Get it wrong on an XR600 and end up breaking a shoe with a bruised leg.

Anyone has a technique for hot-starting the 450 without the hotstart cable? Couldn't get one to start few days ago.

Cold: 2 twists of the throttle, choke, and it starts on 1st or 2nd kick

Hot: Still haven't figured that out yet. If I kill it during a moto, and if I can't get it started right away which is usually the case, then it usually takes me a minute or more to get it restarted which sucks. I've tried every combination of tricks I can think of to make a solid hot start procedure but I can't figure it out. The latest trick someone told me while on the track when I killed it, was to shut the gas off at the fuel petcock. That trick worked at the time but I haven't had a chance to try it again to see if I can repeat the success.

:thumbsup:

Jas

Same thing for me:

COLD: Twist the throttle one time, pull the choke just kick...

HOT AND CRASHED: Still working on that too, my hot start seems to have no effect, but if I turn the gas off it starts easier.

On the old 2001 426 yamaha when it was hot it was hotstart, then if it did not start you turn the gas off and it always started.

Hot and Crashed:

Gas off,,, No hot start.... hold down kill switch,, two quick kicks,, GAS ON,, HOT START ON,, TDC :thumbsup: piston,, then ONE HARD KICK,, works like a charm ones u get the hang of it, and get the routine down,, can start er up real quick after crashing..

Cold Bike- choke on, one squirt of gas, piston TDC on compression stroke, hold throttle 1/8th and kick it striahgt throug, after about 1 min, turn off the choke.

Warm bike (ridden between motos) - 1/8th throttle kicke her through on TDC

Hot bike (crash) pull clutch and hot start kick her like hell as to not let to many guys pass then ride like hell to catch up :thumbsup:.....Usualy i do anyting i can in a crash to hang onto the clutch lever

1. Choke on

2. 4-5 full twists

3. Slow to medium hard kick

I FINALLY figured out that trying to kcik it REALLY hard doesn't work as well as kicking it easily. Don't overkick.

I've had more problems starting my bike when it's warm than when it's cold. Most of the time it will start when warm after 1-2 kicks using the hot start but every now and then it's a 10-12 kicker...........SUCKS.

my bikes a little different from the rest

Cold... Choke on full, no throttle, just a few hard kicks.

if its warm like after a few motos then let it cool off for a bit, one good kick does it

if im on the track and i conk the engine and it backfires as it dies, it NEEDS the hotstart to fire up again.

all in all, kick it like your pissed at it!

usually one twist of the throttle, and about 2 kicks with the choke on for the CRF, The Big red pig, well, one kick from TDC without the manual decompressor with choke on works the best, first kick everytime, just hope it doesnt backfire :thumbsup:. The crf is so easy to kick, so what if it has to be kicked even 5 or 6 times.

Forgot the first step... no matter how big of a hurry you are in you'll save time by putting it in neutral first. :thumbsup:

I try and start both my CRF250 & 450 at least once a day . I guess due to all the rain I want to hear my bikes :cry:

I use the choke and kick it once or twice .

If it has been a few days I twist the throttle once and use the choke and they fire on 1st-2nd kick .

Many times riders don't realize the machine has stalled until after they have already throttled it a couple times, which means a flooded condition for restart.

Just experiment sometime at the top of a hill (for roll starts if needed). Do normal engine kill and restart without hot start. Then do normal engine kill, give it two full throttle twists (flooded?), and try restarting with a) without hot start, :cry: with hot start.

BlackBuzzard