Sign in to follow this  

ktm 450sx

hi,

new to this and at a late age ive tried cr 250 crf450 cr 500 and kx250 all nice in their own way im about to obtain a ktm 450 sx 03 however i see earlier posts concerning valves is this a major problem with this bike? or should i avoid it like the plague?

cheers

nodog

It is a problem with some of the 03s. I wouldn't say most, or even alot have had the problem, but some. If you are concerned, send the head off to eric gorr and he'll drop in some stainless valves and you can sleep easy with a great bike in your garage.

Cy

I love my bike too. It's down right now to replace one exhaust valve, but thats the only issue I've had. It's common to all 4 strokes. Look at the CRF 450/250 forum especially. If you're concerned, get a later model 03. Some of the early bikes had a "hotter" cam. That and a weak batch of valves are the cause of the problems. The later models have a milder cam and good valves. You can't go wrong with a KTM.

thanks for the info guys which has reassured me im going for it will keep you updated when i get my hands on the beast, cheers.

nodog

:thumbsup:

Hi,

Got the bike stomper machine when its sitting at tickover is there a fair bit of clutch basket noise which goes away when you pull in the clutch? cheers id attach an image if someone could tell me how to do it

cheers

nodog