Sign in to follow this  

2004 yz450f cartridge

I'm re-valving a friends yz450f and I'd like to get into the cartridge to soften up the mid-valve a bit. It has a sleeve on the damper rod that will require a cartridge holder with at least a 30mm inner diameter. I don't want to buy one of these. Does anybody know of a way to get around or remove this sleeve so I can use the cartridge holder I already have?

It's kind of hard to describe, but it's located on the ring that the fork-spring rests against. The ring I'm talking about is on most cartridges, pressed in against the teeth that your holding tool goes into.

This sleeve is on top of that ring, and it fits inside of the fork spring, I think to help stabilize it. It's only a few inches south of the white plastic sleeve that is removable and also helps stabilize the fork spring.

I believe he is refering to the hydraulic bottoming cone that is pressed into the CV.

It can be pryed off the CV. But you won't get it off the rod that way if thats your intentions.

Russ

Thanks Russ

I was looking at an 03 cartridge and was stumped. Forgot the 04 has the cone on top as I haven't been in them yet.

Sorry to high-jack the thread but

I'm gonna pull my Extremes apart this week and if you still need it I'll send you the specs. They are 99 300EXC models. May give you a call about them.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see what I can do with just the base valve, and then worry about getting or making a new holding tool. :thumbsup:

KTM LEW

that would be great as I would like the stock specs on those forks. :cry:

Russ