Sign in to follow this  

Finally got my 2003 DR-Z 250

Hi All,

Just announcing that I finally got my bike, I picked it up yesterday, a 2003 DR-Z 250. I found a 2002 Kawasaki KLX 110 for my son, so now we can ride together on the trails. I found the throttle seems a little sticky, or I am very much out of practice in accelerating, it seems to lurch strongly when shifting (I am very smooth on the clutch), so I have read about some of the things people have been doing, like checking the throttle cable for kinks, etc.

I also find this a very cold natured bike, it took me almost 15 minutes to get it started and somewhat warmed up last night, boy, I hope I can make that better, it drove me nuts.

Thanks for listening,

John

If you search the posts on this forum, you will find that the DR-Z 250 in stock form is jetted very lean. You might even find that making idle screw adjustments may help. If you really want to uncover the hidden power, you will need to open up the airbox, and modify the exhaust in some form (either aftermarket or stock). Also after you do this you may need to put larger jets in the carb (depends on where you live). I feel the exhaust has given me the most performance gains. When I put the stock exhaust on, I lose a lot of power and performance. My 2001 DR-Z was just as you described (very cold blooded) and these few small changes have helped.

I've got a 01 and I've never had the cold blooded problem that people describe. That maybe because I am sealevel here in south florida. Not too sure how you are starting it but if you just pull the choke out all the way and hit the magic button without giving it any gas it should start up nicely. I usually just let mine idle for a minute or two and then go ride. Good luck man. For trail riding you'll love this bike. Just don't try to jump it too high.... :cry:

Thanks for the tips.

The spark plug was changed out and the carb was adjusted a little richer and things are running fine right now. It starts on the first try now, usually without the choke even engaged.</P>

I am located in upstate South Carolina, so not too far above sea level (if memory is working correctly, I think somewhere in the 769 foot range).</P>

I am very happy with my purchases for me and my son, it has been about 27 years since I last rode trails and dirt, but plan on enjoying it, especially the time spent with my son. My daughter just started college last month, and I feel I missed out on too many opportunities and don't want that to happen again.</P>

I want to thank Thumpertalk for being here and having a place for all of us to discuss, share and just read about the experiences of others in this great sport/hobby.</P>

John