Sign in to follow this  

XR250 jumpable???

I sold my XR250 back in may, to look for a new bike that would be better for jumping, but looking at the reliability issues of the 250F's compared to the XR250, I am really considering buying an XR250 and getting suspension work done to it to make it able to jump. My cousin has an 02 that he is wanting to sell that just had a top end rebuild done and it was bored to a 260. I know his bike is in immaculate condition, and I might be able to get it for $2000. what I want to know is, is there any way to make an XR250 able to handle big jumps by getting new springs and getting them revalved??? if so how much would it cost??? thanks a lot

Horrible quality, but its me going over a tabletop at Hollister, maybe 8 feet high. I had it about 10 feet up on the biggest jump:

ryantabletop.jpg

Didnt bottom. I have the right springs for my weight, RaceTech goldvalves, and trail settings for compression/rebound.

I only weigh 135 pounds, so I doubt it would be much of a problem. also how would it work to just put more fork oil in the forks and make the back spring stiffer??? when I had my XR250, it was on the 12th settingout of 20, and I never really bothered with it. one more question, how much more HP over stock would you get with a 260 kit???

I sold my XR250 back in may, to look for a new bike that would be better for jumping, but looking at the reliability issues of the 250F's compared to the XR250, I am really considering buying an XR250 and getting suspension work done to it to make it able to jump. My cousin has an 02 that he is wanting to sell that just had a top end rebuild done and it was bored to a 260. I know his bike is in immaculate condition, and I might be able to get it for $2000. what I want to know is, is there any way to make an XR250 able to handle big jumps by getting new springs and getting them revalved??? if so how much would it cost??? thanks a lot

The 250 is certainly jumpable but that is not the bike's forte. You can get WER http://www.werproducts.net/ to increase the suspension travel and do all kinds of spring and valving mods (and more). If big air and supercross/motocross jumps are your interest, there are bikes that are much better suited. I'm in the air quite a bit on my trail rides but bigger jumps belong to different bikes. IMHO you will probably find that by the time you build up an XR250 to be a big jumper that you should have just gotten a more jump oriented bike to begin with.

:thumbsup:

yeah thats what i am thinking. I can get a good used 250F for around $3000-$3500. if I buy a XR250 for $2000, than that leaves me $1000-$1500 to spend on suspension mods, then I would be left with a reliable bike that would be able to handle big jumps, and thats what I want

I would get the xr250 and buy a old 125 or 250 2smoker for the jumps. :thumbsup: So all together if you bought the xr for $2000 and you could spend about $1500 and get like a 98 99 two smoker. That comes to around $3500 for both bikes. :devil:

I would get the xr250 and buy a old 125 or 250 2smoker for the jumps. :devil: So all together if you bought the xr for $2000 and you could spend about $1500 and get like a 98 99 two smoker. That comes to around $3500 for both bikes. :lol:

just out of curiosity do any forks from honda 2 smokes interchage with the xr250 :thumbsup::awww:

what i really want to be able to do is be able to accidentally case a 50 foot double and not break something on the XR250. is that possible with WER???? and how much$$$$?

There is no guarantee that any bike will be able to case a long high jump repeatedly without breaking something.

The XR is not as well suited for that type of abuse than a pure Moto machine. If you plan to spend all your time on the track, the XR is probably not your best choice.

RH