Sign in to follow this  

jumping crf450 vs yz250f?

I'm a beginner and had a crf450 with heavier flywheel weight. The bike was more than I could handle but never had a problem jumping with it. Pitch was very consistent and overcoming my fear and carryng more speed to the jump was all i needed to concentrate on to make the landing area.

I sold that bike and got a 04 yz250f, thinking it would be easier for me to control. I've only done about 5 laps on this bike but I can control the power better and corner speed is improved. But my problem is I can't control the pitch with this bike like I could on the 450. First few laps I went slow and front end was a little high and I basically wheelied down the back side of the jumps. I then got on it coming out of two corners with maybe a 30ft run at the jumps. First time front wheel was perpedicular to the ground and bailed the bike in mid air. Second time front wheel too high again and I landed in superman position over the back with WOT and I broke my collar bone. I now have a coupLe months off from riding to figure out how to jump with this bike. :devil:

I'm fairly certain I have the same riding position when I jump the 450 and 250f. So I'm wondering:

Due to ergonomics or bike weight differences, does the 250f require much more weight on the front than crf450? I stand in pretty neutral position at take-off. Need to be up over the bars on 250f?

Maybe flywheel weight is the difference and I'm not used to the more gradual power build and then hit I get on 250f, throwing my weight back at take-off? :thumbsup:

maybe play with the rebound..the kayaba which is the yami will handle different then the showa on the honda.. it will take u a while to get used to it. But if u get front wheel high hit your front brake but be careful it feels kind of weird and if u land crooked or locked up bam u be crashing again

with lower power of 250f, ya could be hitting the jump at higher rev or power, thus casuing nose high.

moderate the throttle to see how it goes.

could be the weaker enginebraking of the 250f that dosn't help you bring the front down like it used to do on the 450.. :thumbsup:

It's much easier to jump a bike with a steady flywheel at lower rpms than a "peaky" bike. A heavier bike will also be more stable, and not respond to your weight as quickly.

You'll simply need to practice on the 250, it's likely that a more agressive style will be needed to keep the jumps consistant.

:cry:

I think you mean, when you get the front wheel too high, you hit the rear brake, not the front brake.

John

:cry:

I think you mean, when you get the front wheel too high, you hit the rear brake, not the front brake.

John

Actually both work but using the rear break is a better habit to have, you would not what to come down with your front brake on.

On my 250f i ride at a track were there is a table right out the turn the first time i went for it i wheelied all the way up the face and i was straight up and down in the air and had to eject hurt pretty so my freind tought me that brake trick and i practiced it on another jump wich i was real comfortable with now i can hit the table wheelie up the face the hit the back brakes and land perfectly good luck :cry:

Thanks for the tips. I'll watch some GS jumping dvds for the next few months while I'm nursing the clavicle and will hopefully do better when I'm ready to ride again in Nov/Dec. :cry: