Sign in to follow this  

fun style "get your kicks" while Trail riding

does anybody do little tricks and freestyle moves while you're trail riding or open course cross country riding? We know you do. What are your favorite moves?

I like to whip the front wheel a little ala "on any sunday" on water bar jumps occasionally. I would really like to wheelie water crossings but I can't wheelie that well yet....... I feel like damn virgin admitting that :thumbsup:

what freestyle moves do you do when your motoring out on the trails?

Differnt kinds of wheelies. Such as one handed ones, no footed ones, one handed no footed, and just really long ones. Aint nothing like wheelieing cross the finish line. :thumbsup:

Just go out somewhere nice flat and open and practice wheelies, after a while they shall come easily. It is alot easier and way more cost effective to learn to do wheelies on a dirtbike rather than a street bike. The other nice thing is wrecking a dirtbike you can get up and laugh about it :devil: Streetbikes are way different, i was laid up for over 3 months from my bike accident :thumbsup: Now i stick to dirt...well kinda sorta in a gravity stricken world you kinda have to

Only when there are photographers hanging around like on Ninja_Nate 's avatar! :thumbsup:

Freestyle has nothing to do with Offroad riding techniques.

Do more than wheelie and you are dangerous to yourself and others. I would rather not discuss outlaw techniques that are of little use except to the show off.

Thanks,

Dwight

Freestyle has nothing to do with Offroad riding techniques.

Do more than wheelie and you are dangerous to yourself and others. I would rather not discuss outlaw techniques that are of little use except to the show off.

Thanks,

Dwight

ouch...... :thumbsup: well I guess I was thinking of a video I saw of some great off-road riders. The way they whip sawed the bike up and over a small fallen tree was so graceful it looked like freestyle to lowly me.

maybe I used the wrong word. Gracefull off-road riding style is admirable and maybe it comes with learned techniques. Freestyle I guess is more of a circus act term and no I don't care for circus acts.

Dwight :thumbsup:

I am no Dwight for sure, all the tricks I learned riding is to keep the bike tracking in the direction I want.

You want freestyle go to a freestyle track, I dont want some beginning yakker doing his impression of pastrami around me.

OUCH john.... et tu? everybody is on my case today......

BTW I voted for 2BB :thumbsup:

I know what you meant Biggie.

Pull a wheelie is fun. Doing one through some water is more fun.

It also keeps you dry.

I can also almost drown you.

Its all fun isn't it?

I try riding a gear high and stay smooth avoiding the big hits. I only jump logs if I gotta. Too much chance for failure ( Crashes ) if you don't make it. I for sure don't jump if I don't know where I will be landing. Although I did see Guy Cooper once jump a ditch with a dirt piled in front of it that prevented 4X4s from intering the woods. He had no idea where he was going to land but made it. No way would I take a chance like that. Could have been rocks or logs or a bigger problem where he couldn't see.

Smooth and stylish is the word for the better rider.

Dwight

wow, doing a wheelie through water? and you guys think streetbike wheelies are dangerous. what about all the slime, gunk and stuff on the rocks? doens't that make your rear wheel slide off the rocks? how waterproof are boots, i know you can get waterproof ones, but are they all a little bit waterproof? :thumbsup:

You only wheelie through mud holes that are probably no more than 10Ft or so across. Creeks are a different issue. Especially deep water. You stand and turn slightly up stream . First gear, slightly slipping the clutch keeping the rpm high enough to prevent stalling. NEVER STOP, keep momentum at all costs.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I stand most all the time, and I like to think that my riding is fluid and smooth.

I loft the front wheel over obstacles and depressions.

When I am feeling stylish, I like to "TT" slide around corners. You know how flat-trackers get that rear wheel out, get on the gas, and slide with accelleration through corners?

I like to do that standing.

:thumbsup:

My favorite pass move is to bust a nose wheelie as I come into a turn underneath some ordinary-riding chump. Then I slap him in the head with my back wheel and roost off to the next loser. :thumbsup:

My favorite pass move is to bust a nose wheelie as I come into a turn underneath some ordinary-riding chump. Then I slap him in the head with my back wheel and roost off to the next loser. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and then you wake up and ask your mommy if you can go out and play, get on your bicycle and ride around going "BRAAAAAAPPP, BRAAAAAAAPPPPP" :devil::D:awww::lol:

Me...haha i cant do anything. A wheelie or too across mud holes or something small like that. Maybe a whip in the air(a Little One). I'm not that good.

Not much of a "freestyler" here. I think if I tried to whip, I'd never bring it back and SLAP, land on my side. However I do have a couple of favorite techniques that feel especially good when I pull 'em off.

I like riding wheelies uphill when I'm climbing ravines in the woods.

I like pre-loading the suspension, hitting a big log with my front wheel, and snapping the throttle open. It makes the bike hop right over the log like a rabbit on steroids.

I like wheeling across creeks, because then I have control of my front tire when I hit the other bank. Doesn't work if it's too deep though.

I like using the peaks between ravines like rounded off table tops.

I like it when my life flashes before my eyes because I was ripping through the woods and suddenly came upon an angled log that I have to get over. Having ignored my self preservation instinct screaming to slow down, I had to goose the throttle to get the front wheel over, then chop the throttle and put my nose on the fender to get the back wheel over. Then back on the gas.

I don't care who sees me do this stuff, as amateurish as I do stuff anyway. I just find it very satisfying to feel myself doing it.

I just went from a 520 EXC 4t to a 250 EXC 2t and am just starting to play around on the bike. I've always been able to do a decent wheelie, but now I'm doing little hops off of stuff on the trails and off water bars on the forest roads. Its a lot of fun.

The hopping technique is nice because you can get over stuff on the trail easier sometimes by going over it, instead of through it, or around it. But its not a full blown jump, I haven't gotten there yet.

Also haven't mastered flat tracking around the corners on the forest roads yet. I used to be able to flat track around sliding the rear end out real good when I was an ankle biter, but now that I'm all grown up, I seem, ahem, to have lost the talent. :cry:

And I'm not a racer, just a casual trail rider out there having fun, so I appreciate the discussion on who's doing what, and how they do it. Good, fun stuff.

And yes, Brandon can ride the wheels off his bike while standing up, I've seen it. :cry:

Ed