Sign in to follow this  

What kind of oil should i use for the case and engine?

I purchased a 03 CRF 450 and want to know what kind of oil i should use. I herd about sinthetic and others as well. This bike is near new. :thumbsup:

aaahhhhhh the number one Newbie question :thumbsup:, most guys will tell you to use the search button, but here is the short and sweet: the best oil you can afford to change often. IMO

I run the honda silver bottle in the engine , and a top of the line automotive in the tranny.

I also use the Honda Silver Oil. It is a syn blend. It contains moly and make sure you DO NOT put this in the Tranny or you'll mess stuff up. I have not heard of the automotive oil for tranny, but it interests me. I use the Honda Syn blend with out Moly for the Tranny. Have fun these bikes are tooo fun. Make sure to change oil often.

I second that, I use Honda Silver bottle synth blend with molly in my Engine, and the one without molly on my tranny.. make sure to change it A LOT/... :thumbsup:

what weight oil for tranny and engine on the honda silver moly/non moly

honda silver bottle (HP4M)is 10-40 sj, and I use a regular automotive engine oil 10-40 (ESSO ULTRA)in the tranny.

remeber your air filter is just as important :thumbsup:

use the search button on this site, and go crazy with IMO s.

i like to use the same oil in both, not tranny oil in the trans, incase the seal blows i would rather not fill my engine with gear oil. I usually run torco 15/40 semi synthetic in both and change every 2-3 rides depending how hard i bagged it or if i was racing.

I wouldn't use automotive engine oil in your tranny. 4-stroke motorcycle engines have a unique requirement. They use the same oil for the motor and the tranny. The gears/clutch in your tranny are very hard on oil molecules. Motorcycle oils contain additives/cleansers that protect against the added wear/contamination the gears/clutch cause. Honda has seperated the engine and the tranny on the CRF. This is great. We can now run high quality automotive oil on the engine side now. We can also run oils that contain "moly" (very slick stuff). But you have to run either a dedicated transmission oil or 4-stroke motorcycle oil in the tranny. You can't run "moly" in your tranny side - it is too slick and will make your clutch slip. Make sense?

But you have to run either a dedicated transmission oil or 4-stroke motorcycle oil in the tranny.

Not true. Lots of guys run automotive oils in the trans as long as it doesn't have moly. Example- Mobil 1.

Keith, you're up. :thumbsup:

A while back there was a guy buying WD-40 in bulk and using that in his engine and tranny, he said it worked pretty well. Personally I just the Honda GN4 10W-40 SJ (black bottle, red cap) on both sides, haven't had any problems so far. :cry:

Check your owners manual, buy what it recomends or better. simple

and automotive oil that meets honda reqirments will work in both ends fine.

I bet there is more people running automotive oil in thier bikes than bike oil. Just think of all the old XRs and quads around, that have NEVER seen fancy-ancy bike oil, and they keep going and never die.

Not true. Lots of guys run automotive oils in the trans

How can I argue with that? :cry:

I don't get it. Why do people continue to ask these questions and we continue to participate.

A simple search on TT is all it takes to any 100% of the oil questions.

Ok, you're right and I'm wrong.

Just as long as you admit it! :cry:

Your bike will blow up.

I'm not saying it's gonna blow up, however, as you mentioned it is specifically formulated to meet the demands of a transmission.

newbie.

:cry:

That's TT Bronze Member. :cry:

I'm not saying it's gonna blow up, however, as you mentioned it is specifically formulated to meet the demands of a transmission.

I was joking, only you would think I was serious.

Don't wuss out now...

We are this -->| |<-- close from drawing the rest of the gang into another oil debate thread! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: