Sign in to follow this  

HELP ME!!!!!!!

hey guys! I need you opinion on which exhaust I should get. I've got an 87' XR 250 and I need some tunable power. I was thinking the megamax, the E-series, or the XR's only exhaust. If anyone can find some dyno charts that would be great. Or maybe some experience with owners of them? I am also condsidering porting it, or a carb. Which one is the biggest bang for the buck? :thumbsup:

Thrill-O,

I dont know where you ride, but the pipes you've mentioned are all way too loud. We're in the middle of some deep sheeit right now in most all riding areas and noise is a big part of the problem. I had a White Bros E series. It made great power, it was too loud. There are pipes out there now that make just about the same power, but are quiet. The one I bought is the Pro Circuit 496. It tested at 92 db's. White Bros makes the E2 now, FMF has the Q series. These are bitchen pipes and will wake up your bike. They run the same money as the loud ones, but help keep riding areas open.

I installed a FMF Megamax II on my XR250.

Snorkel out, K&N und I also rejetted the carb.

Doing this still results in a tiny performance boost - but not more.

FMF, E-Series or whatever:

All those aftermarket pipe´s make some nice sound - but be sure, you will not gain any noticable performance boost. If you want more power - you need to do some engine work (install a 280ccm piston kit, hot cam or whatever so)

xo Peter

like I said, I have an 87' XR250. i'm not really worried cuz I live in AZ and there isnt any problem with that. but i do some riding in California so if I get any of the loud ones i would need a quiet core, which they make for almost every pipe. I also was wondering if I ported it, would it do the same thing as a big bore? if i were to bore it, the I gotta get a carb. My piston's about to die anyways, so I might as well get some engine work done anyway. Is ther even a very vig difference?

i'm not really worried cuz I live in AZ and there isnt any problem with that.

I'M WORRIED!!! :cry:

I live in AZ, and we do have a problem with land closures due to noise. :cry:

Educate yourself!!!

Check out "Gordon's Mods". Try to figure out how to get the best bang for the buck on your bike.

Really loud exhuast pipes just give a little more power and piss off a lot of people. Just because you haven't been stopped and ticketed, doesn't mean a loud exhaust isn't upsetting other people. You often find out the hard way when a very restrictive law is passed or your local riding area is shut down.

If you go into California, Mr Ranger will either send you home or give you a ticket. Go for an exhaust that is 96db or lower and save some hassle.

Save the hundreds of dollars for a new pipe towards a newer bike or other modificaitons.

A pipe is and was the last thing I did. And I have about 2 grand in motor mods. Valves, clutch basket, pumper carb, 426 kit, cam, suspension, dual sport kit, was all done before the pipe. And I bought a Pro Circuit 496 quiet pipe. They work.

I looked at the 496,and their 350 bucks! thats a little pricey for my budget. plus,I have an 87 and their for 96-04 bikes. would the XR's only pipe make the 96 Db? their 240, and that's in my budget a lil more.