Sign in to follow this  

The DR-Z is too tall for me?

I'm intrested in purchasing a DS as a first time motorcycle rider. The planned usage would be 99% dirt and forest road use in Florida. The only reason I'm even considering a DS is that I need a tagged vehicle on the forest roads. I visited my local Suzuki dealer today and was overwelmed with the seat height of the DRZ. I was expecting it be a tall bike but I wasn't even being able to tippy toe both feet onto the ground.

I found the seat height of the DR200SE (31.9 in) much more ideal but the DR200SE seems pretty expensive for something that could easily get very boring quickly with moped sized engine and no possible upgrades.

I've also looked towards DS models from Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki and they all have a seat heights around what the DRZ sits.

What reasonable modification can be made to lower the seat height of the DRZ from the stock 36.8 in to something closer to 31.9 in? Should I really be considering another bike? Suggestions? :thumbsup:

Besides the kuba link the gel seat drops another in or so. Some people trim their stock seat down as well. Dropping your forkes changes the steering a little, but is also an option.

Also take a look at the Suzuki DR650. It has a low seat height, is the best 650 DS for off road (not as good as a DR-Z 400) is reliable and the factory makes a lowering link for the bike.

Some one elas may have some other ideas as well.

i might get blasted for this but, i have a friend that rides a tt-r 250 (225?) and it's a great bike. it has plenty of power and lower seat height. i think it is a bike you should look at.

a 400 is alot of bike for a first timer.

all bikes that are 400 and above are going to have a tall seat. the suspension sags which will lower it a bit and you get an inch or two on your toes. do you think all of us have a 36" inseam?

i might get blasted for this but, i have a friend that rides a tt-r 250 (225?) and it's a great bike. it has plenty of power and lower seat height. i think it is a bike you should look at.

a 400 is alot of bike for a first timer.

all bikes that are 400 and above are going to have a tall seat. the suspension sags which will lower it a bit and you get an inch or two on your toes. do you think all of us have a 36" inseam?

No blasting here. The DRZ is a great bike, but may not fit everyones needs. I have heard good things about the yamaha I think 225 serov (sp) In fact a brit named Lois Pryce rode one from Alaska to the tip of south america last year.

i agree with you. if this is your first motorcycle dont get a 400. i had a friend that wanted to go riding with me. went out and bought a new rm250. never rode before. broke his wrist 2nd week he owned it. missed work, had no insurance. $6000 dollar bike + 5000 in doctor bills. could of been worse. get a 200 or 250. once you get some ride time and want to move up sell it or trade it in. :thumbsup:

I think the bike you're looking for is a XT225. The TTR is an offroad only bike. The XT is a street legal bike. It has good power with decent components on it. I'm planning on buying this bike for my girlfriend. She sat on one at a dealership and could tip toe it with a 26" inseem. Sure you'll have no problem. :thumbsup:

How does the DR200SE compare to the XT225?

I think the bike you're looking for is a XT225. The TTR is an offroad only bike. The XT is a street legal bike. It has good power with decent components on it. I'm planning on buying this bike for my girlfriend. She sat on one at a dealership and could tip toe it with a 26" inseem. Sure you'll have no problem. :thumbsup:

I think the XT is much more modern. If you noticed the DR has drum brakes :awww::thumbsup:!!!. I haven't really even seen one up close but from what I heard they are way underpowered for their weight. The XT is VERY nimble on trails(a buddy of mine could keep up with his buddies 490cc on trails). It also has quite good tractable power. :devil:

KlR 250 might be a good choice also, not sure how they match up with the XT or DR200.

I picked the 400, its a bit tall for me but I never got the link or shaved the seat.

Im 5'9" and can get 1/2 of both feet on the flat ground and one flat foot if I put

the other on a peg & lean a tad.

Bailed a couple times on a long very rocky, dusty, steep, rutted hill last weekend and

was wishing I was 4-5 inches lower trying to foot dab in that crap was not fun,

the bike would lean & get traction and buck like a wild horse without good footing.

I may look into shaving the seat & the kouba link after that wild ride.

The 400 is a great bike, if you lowered it & shaved the seat to the point

where it made you more confident Id say go with it. Then again you could always

buy the smaller bike & sell it when your ready to upgrade. My friend has the KLR250

and its a decent bike, not sure how high the seat is, but I know its lower then the 400.

Of course it doesnt have the shock travel of the 400, but its water cooled, it does

have a rear drum, but the front it disc.

Another popular choice in that size is the CRF230, you would have to get it dualsported

though since Honda doesnt sell it plated.

KlR 250 might be a good choice also, not sure how they match up with the XT or DR200.

I picked the 400, its a bit tall for me but I never got the link or shaved the seat.

Im 5'9" and can get 1/2 of both feet on the flat ground and one flat foot if I put

the other on a peg & lean a tad.

Bailed a couple times on a long very rocky, dusty, steep, rutted hill last weekend and

was wishing I was 4-5 inches lower trying to foot dab in that crap was not fun,

the bike would lean & get traction and buck like a wild horse without good footing.

I may look into shaving the seat & the kouba link after that wild ride.

The 400 is a great bike, if you lowered it & shaved the seat to the point

where it made you more confident Id say go with it. Then again you could always

buy the smaller bike & sell it when your ready to upgrade. My friend has the KLR250

and its a decent bike, not sure how high the seat is, but I know its lower then the 400.

Of course it doesnt have the shock travel of the 400, but its water cooled, it does

have a rear drum, but the front it disc.

Im 5'9 also , the gel seat did the trick for me !!! :thumbsup:

I just purchased a DRZ400SKE (I'm 5' 10"), and I agree that the seat height is a little high. However, I'm used to high seats as I used to ride a YZ-125 (seat height ~37 inches). The high seat is not a problem while you are riding (especially if you are going to be on relatively open forest roads.) The only time you will notice problems with the seat height is when you are riding in very tight technical trails that may require some frequent stopping and putting the feet down (the seat height problem can be much worse when you are riding on uneven ground, since it will be an even further stretch to reach the ground). I agree that you should probably go with a shorter bike if you are not an experienced rider (most novice riders tend to stop and put their feet down quite often, which is normal, but it may make your learning experience rather frustrating). Another factor that makes me think you should start with a shorter bike is the weight of the DRZ400S. Even as an experienced rider, I found that I had to make significant changes in my riding style in going from the YZ to the DRZ (the latter is about 100 pounds heavier than the former). A shorter, lighter bike is probably the best option for you to quickly and painlessly learn the skills and techniques that will make riding a DRZ400 a true pleasure. Whatever you decide, be safe and have fun!

Wow there are a lot of 5'9" ers here. I went to the Military induction center in LA to get a phsical.I felt like a midget. Everyone around me was a least 6'. Oh well I make up for it in other areas. :thumbsup::devil::awww:

5'9" here too. The stock seat felt a little high although I was able to ride it no problem. With the GEL seat it's much better. Also once the suspension softens (Or you soften it with settings) it won't feel as tall..

Wow there are a lot of 5'9" ers here. I went to the Military induction center in LA to get a phsical.I felt like a midget. Everyone around me was a least 6'. Oh well I make up for it in other areas. :thumbsup::devil::awww:

I'm 5'6" and have mine lowered where it works fine, Kouba links and then dropped the front forks about 1.25" and have the gel(rock) seat. I have no problem with touching on the street or trails and it handles fine although the rear is a little too soft to jump anything major. Trail riding it is TOTALLY fine. I made a custom riser to move the handlebars up .75" so I could drop the forks. PM me if you want to see pics. NOT my first dirt bike. You might also look at a CRF230 Honda. It is light and has a "button" too. Might be wrong on the model designation, but it is a 230 and not the 250. Cheap and easy to learn on.

Another option, especially if it is your first bike, is a Yamaha XT350. You wll have to get a used one because they stopped making them in 2001. I had this bike and it was bulletproof. It is definitely old-school but it worked for me and it has a low seat height. With a few suspension mods, the bike did a lot more than I ever thought it would. In the end, I sold it on eBay for $300 more than I paid for it.