Sign in to follow this  

Reinstall OEM Muffler?

My bike was delivered today (2001 with about 200 - 300 miles). It has a White Bros pipe installed, but the stock pipe came along with it too. Frankly, I prefer a quiet pipe, and Gordons Mods to the stocker will probably give me all the extra grunt I need from a pipe.

Has anyone got an opinion whether I can get (about) as much power from a modded stocker as from a White Bros pipe? Is the moded stocker quieter than a White Bros? Larry

Larry. I've done the pipe shuffle myself. The White Bros is obnoxious and hurts us all when you ride around people. It makes great power. It runs like crap plugged up with a quiet core or running 6 discs. I went back to stock when I was waiting for my Pro Circuit 496 to come in. The stock is not even close to the plugged up WB. A stock pipe with Gordons mods is a great improvement. Make sure of the jetting if you go back to stock. He may have rejetted for the White Bros pipe. Just rejet to Gordons specs. It's run good and have good power as long as it's jetted correctly.

Thanks a million, Keith. That's just what I needed to know.

The White Brothers I have has more than 6 discs. The bike runs strong but it is louder than I like. I'm perfectly okay with drilling the stocker. My seller told me he hadn't changed anything besides the pipe and the brake light. Looks like there will be an almost new White Brothers pipe in the classifieds. Larry

I did not like the WB pipe on my XR650L, too loud with a bad sound. I do like the Yoshimura pipe with spark arrestor on my 2002 XR 400. Nicer sound and easy to install. It is louder than stock, but the sound is not annoying.

Hey COtrails, looks like you and I think alike. I'm a squid site refugee where "louder is better" and no amount of power is ever too much.

So, are you local? Do you (or any other CO guys/gals) want to hook up for some riding some time? Larry

I'll be riding the Aspen loop trail this Saturday, just outside Mancos, CO. I realize it's a bit far from Denver. I also have a bunch of single track trail marked near Cedar Hill, NM (great for cold weather riding when CO trails are closed). If ever in the area, we will ride. Dan

I ran with a stock pipe and Thumper racing stealth insert(69.00) which is bigger diameter and fiberglass packed instead of mechanical baffle). It perked it up once I went up on the pilot jet and it was fairly quiet, probably just what you were looking for. I just got bored and got a good deal on my XR's only pipe but it's loud and powerful.

Thanks for the response Xrated. Never heard of an insert before, but I'm new to dirty bikes.

I reinstalled the OEM pipe and the bike definately has less snap at the throttle. I like the quieter sound, though, and I always thought the black pipe looked great. I'll try drilling three 1/4" holes and jetting/adjusting the carb to see if that doesn't get me some of the old snap again. Maybe I'll even break down and clean the air filter. If that doesn't work, I'll probably either reinstall the WB pipe (ow, my ears!) or look for the stealth insert. Thanks again, Larry