How neurotic are you about washing your bike after a ride?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so neurotic about cleaning my bike after each ride. ? I figure if I am going to take the time to wash it I might as well do it right. I can't help it I just have to get the thing super clean. I find that when I do a detailed cleaning, I notice things. I have found bolts missing, things that are loose, stuff shoved in the brakes etc. After you bike has been wet it is good to lube the chain and other areas (cables and anything that pivots). It really helps to have all the mud & dust off when you lube it. When it is dusty I still give it a wash. It doesn't take long. I just can't stand to see all the dirt caked on my chain.

So, yes I am a freakin neurotic nut. :devil: If I put my bike away clean, it makes the maintence work a lot easier.

not really neurotic

I have to wash 2 bikes most of the time ...

when it is only dusty I service it and fine

when it is muddy I wash it and service it right after

if I have to wash I make sure it is clean and not only halfway clean

but I will not polish plastic or use a toothbrush to get the last grain of sand out of some remote corner of the carb ...

I'm horrible about this. Sometimes my bike will sit for 2-3 days before I wash it after a ride. I'm just too friggen tired by the time I get home.

When I do eventually wash it though I simple green the living hell out of it and then wash it. I actually have my bike in pieces right now dialing it all out and replacing broken/lost parts. Found a bolt missing from the gas tank. Thanks goodness the other bolt was still there to hold it on.. ?

If we've ridden in very, very muddy terrain we'll stop and hose them down at the car wash and then do detail work on them at home....sometimes a couple of days later.

If they're just dusty, we don't usually clean them.

Most of the time, they have sawdust on them in the garage. Ah-hem.....xrDan likes to do a little woodworking now and then. Even putting them in the driveway doesn't help completely. ?

My boyfriend does a great job of washing and inspecting after rides. Like many we're not as picky with minor dust, but still inspect and lube even if we don't wash. He just informed me that I have to start washing it myself again now that I'll be riding it ?. It's been nice having him do it!! Here's a pic we took when installing the new pipe and working on the valves and cam.

whbrospipe9 04.jpg

I am so neurotic about cleaning my bike after each ride. ? I figure if I am going to take the time to wash it I might as well do it right. I can't help it I just have to get the thing super clean. I find that when I do a detailed cleaning, I notice things. I have found bolts missing, things that are loose, stuff shoved in the brakes etc. After you bike has been wet it is good to lube the chain and other areas (cables and anything that pivots). It really helps to have all the mud & dust off when you lube it. When it is dusty I still give it a wash. It doesn't take long. I just can't stand to see all the dirt caked on my chain.

So, yes I am a freakin neurotic nut. :awww: If I put my bike away clean, it makes the maintence work a lot easier.

I absolutely hate having to leave the bikes dirty when we get home from a race or ride, if there's any daylight left I wash 'em, and if the sun goes down before I'm done I've been known to finish the job with the pressure washer in one hand and a flashlight in the other :devil:

haha i have to confess I dont wash my own bike... it gets done for me - but hey whiles he's doing that im inside making dinner! I think thats a fair trade. ?

I really enjoy washing/inspecting/maintaining my bike... its somehow a 'cool' down for me after a hard day of riding, just putting my hands on it, taking care of it, getting to know more about it from a different aspect than just starting it and riding it... :D maybe thats weird, huh? :awww: Conversely, I HATE cooking :D (and am terrible at it! :snore:) ... so I don't think that's a fair trade at all! ?:D (However, I'm not the one making it, am I? So as long as YOU'RE happy with it, I say ?, good deal!)

:devil: