Sign in to follow this  

WANTED: Tips for a first time YZ250F rider!

:devil: Guess I'm going the right way now, after a bad hole shot. Hi...I'm a newbie, but not a rider. Just the dad on the sideline giving the thumbs up as the 'dirtrooster' jams down the straight stretch. My son has been riding a YZ80 for the past two and a half years, but has outgrown that bike. He is stepping up to a new 04 YZ250F (5 valve) Would like to hear from any of you riders of 250Fs with some tech. tips, and riding techniques you think would help him get down with this new bike. He will be racing MX this coming weekend for the first time with it. Only riding he's done on it thus far, is breaking it in around the backyard. All tips would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Tip #1 Set the jetting

Tip #2 get the suspension set for his weight.

Tip #3 get a better exhaust. Dr. D is a favorite with a lot.

Tip #4 change the rear sprocket for the area you are riding.

Tip #5 go back to thumperfaq and read everything except the 2 smoke page. :thumbsup:.

Tip #5 go back to thumperfaq and read everything except the 2 smoke page. :devil:.

I didn't know Rick is supporting 2-smokes on "thumperfaq"?! I didn't see a link for 2-smokes :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Okay, Rider....thanks for those tips. But can't fiddle with any of that stuff until after warranty runs out in 30 days. My main concern, however, was what he should expect in the handling. Guess he'll just have to get out there during practice Saturday and bruise his body a few times, and learn the "does & don'ts" by "trial & error" :devil: Hopefully, he'll get through it without any broken bones!

Tip #5 go back to thumperfaq and read everything except the 2 smoke page. :thumbsup:.

I didn't know Rick is supporting 2-smokes on "thumperfaq"?! I didn't see a link for 2-smokes :devil:

yep, I didnt realize he had switched either. :awww:

go to sitemap, and click the 2004 yz250f link.

Get a new chain and handlebars as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

:devil: Thanks, Blasted....but would you be more specific on why a new chain and handlebars :awww:

Make sure he gets his weiner on the gas cap and elbows out in the tight turns, helped the hell out of me. Don't chop the throttle over jumps. Only takes a small blip of the throttle to get the front tire up while in the air. Butt should be on the rear fender through the whoops. Um, what else??? I am sure there is more...probably would help my technique as well.

Shane

Probably the biggest adjustment my son has had to make over the last month since he got his thumper is not feathering the clutch in corners. He was used to working his kx85 through the corners and revving the crap out of the little 2 smoke just to make jumps. No limit to the power now!

Been there and my suggestion is to take him to a track he knows well.One thats not too tight and has forgiving jumps.Just let him ride easy for the firt hour,dont let him go fast,(not clearing jumps).Then have him start clearing a small/ medium size jump that he was comfortable on before .Gas on medium throttle up the face of the jump.Keep that up untill he gets it down.Then find a turn and do the same thing.Just take your time and you will appriciate that you did later on.This bike has way more power and weight than he is used to and it just takes time to get the 4stroke technique down.He will want to haul on it and getting the jumps and turns down first is alot safer way to go.It worked for me especially if he didnt go to a 125 first. :thumbsup:

I didn't know Rick is supporting 2-smokes on "thumperfaq"?! I didn't see a link for 2-smokes :awww:

yep, I didnt realize he had switched either. :devil:

go to sitemap, and click the 2004 yz250f link.

I think Rick meant for that link to point here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/7/12/1/yamaha_yz250f.aspx

...but would you be more specific on why a new chain and handlebars :thumbsup:

the stock chain stretches like warm taffy.

the stock handlebars bend even if you look at them wrong.

ps: the '05 250F's have "better" handlebars.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

you need new bars because the stock ones are so horrible they are most likely gonna bend the first time you crash. the stock chain stretches so you should get a new one asap. the stock exhaust is too restrictive on the top end so get a new one asap. for racing, fmf, dr. d, white brothers, pro circuit all make good systems. titanium if you like. i havn't had any problems with my stock sprockets so far so replace them only if you want to.

thats all i can think of right now except normal stuff like changing the oil about every 3 races. your son will love the bottom-end power of the 250f. torquey as a mo!

good luck! :thumbsup:

just let him get used to jumping on it since hes used to how the 80 jumps

I've felt quite a difference in jumping teqnique while riding cr125s versus my yz250f

AAnd they wont coast like that 80 will so if he ever coasts into corners on that thing u gotta break that habit moreso than if u were to stick to a 2stroke