Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Oil Question...

Is there such a thing as oil being too high grade for a bike? I just bought some Silkolene Pro4 10w-40 (full synthetic) and someone told me that my TT-R125 may not be able to handle that... :thumbsup: Is this true? Any help is appreciated.

Btw, Please keep the flaming to a minimum, I searched this forum but didn't find any answers to this question.

There are recommended grades for the bikes, but I'm going to answer no to your question.

As long as the oil is NOT marked "energy conserving" in the seal it should be ok. I've been running Mobile 1 red cap (full synth) in both of my bikes and they are completely fine. The energy conserving notation indicates added wear reducers that can cause your clutch to slip. I'm not familiar with the brand you refer to so you'll have to check it yourself.

By the way, this isn't the best forum to post an oil related question in... There are some really indifferent people that post in here that will swear that a bunch of these oils are bad for the bikes when there are litterally thousands of members using them.

Take everything you read in this thread with a grain of salt. Compile all of the information and make your own decision.

:thumbsup:

If you want good advice, either post in the yz/wr250f forum or PM wrooster.

Oh no! Not the oil question. Not again. Use what makes you sleep well at night. That is all I can say. I use Yamalube. Just a matter of preference, that's all. :thumbsup:

As long as you are running a Motorcycle specific oil with a JASO [MA] rating you will be fine. The Silkolene is fine.

By the way. As of about a year or so ago MOBIL says don't use Mobil 1 automotive ( red cap included ) in a motorcycle wet clutch application. It can cause problems. If you don't believe me go to the Mobil 1 oil site and see. Oh, yes , formulation changed a couple years back on Mobil 1 automotive products.

How is that for Indifferent ?

Dwight

Why, there's the bad advice I was referring to already. :thumbsup:

I thought this thread would make it a few hundred pages before you showed up. :devil:

I don't doubt they reformulated it... But myself and the other 9000 people using it can't all be wrong at the same time.

I just know what works.

Why, there's the bad advice I was referring to already. :cry:

I thought this thread would make it a few hundred pages before you showed up. :cry:

I don't doubt they reformulated it... But myself and the other 9000 people using it can't all be wrong at the same time.

I just know what works.

Why can't 9000 people be wrong ? Look at IRAQ, We are trying to rebuild and turn the country back over to the Iraqi people and 9000 insurgents don't seem to understand that.

Bad advice ?

Where are your credits ? Why do you think just because you can get away with using the wrong product you are OK ? I know of lots of people who have clutch problems using the wrong oil. I have been in the motorcycle industry and racing for over 30 years. I have seen the problems using the wrong products can do. YOU ARE THE ONE GIVING BAD ADVICE.

IMHO,

Dwight

Here is another perspective who is an "expert" who endorses the use of Mobil 1 15w50 vs motorcycle specific oil.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/columns/mx/2003_04/index03.html

You will see in his response he uses it in his CRF450 in both sides (engine / clutch/tranny).

I myself just purchased a new XR650R and on the paranoid side I am going to play it safe. While I would like to spend half as much and use "red cap 15w50" I will pay twice as much for the Mobil 1 specific oil because I will change every 600 miles which will be close to a year for me.

In my experience you are both right about Mobil 1 red cap. I say your "mileage may vary", as in some bikes will work fine with it and some will have clutch problems. Mobil 1 states that the 15w50 had been reformulated and now contains friction modifiers (this is right from Mobil 1), but is it enough to cause problems in all bikes? - probably not, but some may have problems.

Why, there's the bad advice I was referring to already. :cry:

I thought this thread would make it a few hundred pages before you showed up. :cry:

I just know what works.

Why can't 9000 people be wrong ? Look at IRAQ, We are trying to rebuild and turn the country back over to the Iraqi people and 9000 insurgents don't seem to understand that.

Bad advice ?

Where are your credits ? Why do you think just because you can get away with using the wrong product you are OK ? I know of lots of people who have clutch problems using the wrong oil. I have been in the motorcycle industry and racing for over 30 years. I have seen the problems using the wrong products can do. YOU ARE THE ONE GIVING BAD ADVICE.

IMHO,

Dwight

Honestly, your "credentials" mean just about jack crap to me when it comes to your opinion about oil...

It's your attitude that makes me ignore just about everything you post whether it sounds right or not. I just simply don't like it.

Just because you have raced a long time, and depending on who you talk to, may have even been good at it does not qualify you as an expert on engines or even oil. Or tires, clutches, sprockets, brakes, seats, suspensions, or even grips in my opinion...

I hear Martha Stewart knows a things or two about the stock market, but I personally wouldn't take advice from her on what to buy from my broker...

Dale Earnhardt was one hell of a racer, but anyone that may have taken advice on racing from him, may have suffered the same fate by now...

John Kerry knows a thing or two about politics, but if elected he will run this country into the ground due to his lack of common sense.

Well, that last one is my opinion again... But the others I hope will illustrate my point even if only a little.

You're talking about what you've heard or read. I use M1 red cap in my bike and its fine. Get over it.

So m1 says the oil isn't the same and may not be safe to use in motorcycles anymore...

Imagine that, an oil company that makes "motorcycle" oil they sell at a premium trying to sell their more expensive product...

I just can't imagine why they'd do that.

:cry:

Beware synthetic oil

Beware of synthetic oil, it can do terrible things to you and your

beloved motorcycle. It will not only leak out of your engine faster

than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to

clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication

system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently

slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract

automatically, dropping your bike on the ground! But that's not all...

Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. It

will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off

in the apex of a turn and she'll never ride with you again. Synthetic

oil coats your sight window and your timing window with a whitish

pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly

corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak onto the ground overnight

and your dog will drink it and die.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It

will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full

leathers on and then jam your zippers shut. It will contaminate your

gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate

uncontrollably near police cars. It will make it rain during rallies

and on weekends. It will lubricate your timing belts causing them to

jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically

weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every

six miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots right

before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of

your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your

windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm

to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp, and then it

voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555. It

also dries out your wetclutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your

clutch slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest

day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good

measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your

earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your faceshield and make your

gloves shrink two sizes night before trackday. Synthetic oil stole

your neutral and sold it to the Chinese for $1.25. Synthetic oil

will make you grow a tail. Synthetic oil will write long crazy

e-mails to your Internet friends and then sign your name at the

bottom!

Jeff Homolka

Pro-Cycle

Eugene, OR

You're talking about what you've heard or read. I use M1 red cap in my bike and its fine. Get over it.

I don't have a problem with what ever you put into your engine just don't recommend something that could damage someone elses and pretend you're an expert advisor. You know some folks want to hear what is the right stuff to use in their motorcycles. Not hearsay. If folks ask, I will reply. You don't need to be so rude and wrong at the same time.

And you want to talk about attitudes. You started this with your insulting comments.

Hey, at least we agree on politics.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Here is another perspective who is an "expert" who endorses the use of Mobil 1 15w50 vs motorcycle specific oil.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/columns/mx/2003_04/index03.html

You will see in his response he uses it in his CRF450 in both sides (engine / clutch/tranny).

I myself just purchased a new XR650R and on the paranoid side I am going to play it safe. While I would like to spend half as much and use "red cap 15w50" I will pay twice as much for the Mobil 1 specific oil because I will change every 600 miles which will be close to a year for me.

I never heard of this guy Mark Klein. But some of his Advice sounds very questionable . He can't be as good an tuner as he is tauted if he is using questionable products and recommending products that could possibly cause damage to your machine. Who did he tune for ? He also changes his oil at every 2 hrs which is 50 miles or less. The cost effectivness of this confusses me . He could be paying a bit more for Motorcycle oil and changing it MUCH less often. I usually go 200 to 300 miles on an oil change. That is 8 to 12 hrs usage. Lot less used oil to contaminate the environment also. Don't you think?

Cher'o,

Dwight

Whatever you do, DO NOT use fuel that isnt motorcycle specific. The regular gas stations fuel is designed for vehicles, mostly optimized for gas milage and emissions. It should NOT be used in a high performance motorcycle as this will cause power reduction and shortened motor life. Also, you should use certified motorcycle brake fluid only. Regular brake fluid is thicker and desighned for higher braking loads and will wreck havoc on the motorcycles smaller moving parts and lines. Only buy thinner motorcycle brake fluid to avoid many brake related future problems.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use fuel that isnt motorcycle specific. The regular gas stations fuel is designed for vehicles, mostly optimized for gas milage and emissions. It should NOT be used in a high performance motorcycle as this will cause power reduction and shortened motor life. Also, you should use certified motorcycle brake fluid only. Regular brake fluid is thicker and desighned for higher braking loads and will wreck havoc on the motorcycles smaller moving parts and lines. Only buy thinner motorcycle brake fluid to avoid many brake related future problems.

Now we are being foolish. I suppose you don't think automobile engines are different and have different requirements than Motorcycle engines ?

Dwight