Sign in to follow this  

Gearing ?

Hi everyone,

Got a question on gearing table that I've seen posted on here. I have a stock 03'S with 15/44 gearing. I bought both 14 and 47 tooth sprockets to change, however, I looked at the chart and realized that a 15/47 ~3.13 was very close to a 14/44 3.14 or so ratio and a little farther from 14/47 ~3.36.

What do the 3.13, 3.14 and 3.36 ratio numbers mean to a novice?

After looking at the table I'm thinking of just changing to the 15/47. Or, should I change it to the 14/47? What are the (dis)advantages or each.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

I believe the 3.xx in the chart is the final gearing ratio

just like in a car where you have 4.10 or 3.73 rear gear

So if I'm interpreting the table correctly, the 15/47 and 14/44 would be almost identical. Off .01. Would the difference be that noticeable? If so, would it be on the lower gears or top end?

Thanks,

Paul

what kind of riding do you do? if your gonna use it on the street/highway go with 14/44 or 15/47 if your only riding off road with abit of city and no highway go with 14/47. Im using 14/44 and it's barely acceptable for highway but pretty good but not great off road. The rear is the more important choice you have to make because the front is easy to swap back and forth so if your leaning more to the off road side put the 47 on and swap between the 14 and 15 fronts.

Unclear,

I rarely if at all ride true freeways. I do cruise around 60-65 though on when I'm able to. I would prefer lower gearing for dirt so that's why I thought 15/47 might help a little. I should probably just try the 14/47 and see how it goes.

Thanks

Paul

ya i dont go on true freeways either but thats a good idea go with 14/47 if you find it too buzzy throw the 15 on youl probably be fine with the 14 though :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if a 15/50 gearing will work? Is the chain long enough to fit? I can get my hands on a 50 spocket but don't know if I can use it. :thumbsup:

if your using it for trails ...sugest 13/47 ..youll get more control an less likly to stall on tough rocky sections

less likley to run away with you downhill

tops out about 70 on the road ..just pull the bars in 1st or 2nd ..good funare you the lonley biker ..did you check out the trf