Sign in to follow this  

Question - '04 CRF 150 jetting

Son's brand new '04 CRF 150 does not like to idle and hard to start after he lay's it down (happens frequently). It was suggested at track last weekend to look into some jetting modification and I could find such infomation here. Appreciate any help.

Yup, jetting is the power up kit. It is a new needle, and you run bigger main jets and a bigger pilot jet. Right now the bike is runnig lean and by rejetting, the bike will be tuned properly and will want to run.

But, dont expect to lay the bike down and pick it up and start it. Bikes are hard to start after a crash because the gas empties out of the float bowl.

The fuel empties out of the floatbowl, and much of it can find its way into the inlet track, which may induce a semi-flooded condition! The best way to start your bike after a spill, is to hold the throttle wide open when you are kicking it(or cranking) over. Once the bike begins to run it will take a few seconds to "clean-out". If you do not hold the throttle open you may find your self kicking for a much longer time !! Give it a try next time.

don't forget to hold the kill switch with the throttle wide open to clear the chamber :thumbsup:

You DO NOT want to hold the kill button, or turn the ignition off!! You want the spark plug to fire in the effort to re-start the engine.......

The fuel empties out of the floatbowl,

Coeshow, so can you tell me if there is any basis to my self-decided theory (I come up with alot of these :thumbsup:) on believing that the bike starts MUCH easier when laid down on the right side (crap- I think it's the right) versus the left? My theory being that the float opens more when laid down on the left.

I've actually gotten to the point where I'm getting myself to bail on the left side so I lay it on the right side. (I know, you ask yourself- "if she can choose which side to bail on why can't she just keep the darn thing uprite?")

Anywhoo.... what's your take?

the manual says to do so..... so who's wrong.... :thumbsup::awww:

I guess I missed that part. I just hold wide open throttle for about 2 sec & it usually starts. When it hasn't started in the first 2-3 seconds I just close the throttle & then it starts right up.

:devil:

Yup, even with a flooded car/truck that is flooded with a carbureator, you are supposed to crank it with it wide open.

Yeah, I was skeptical at first, but I think doing this allows more air to enter into the engine to clear it out? :cry:

I can speak for the stock 230 carbs ! The 230 does not have a vent (overflow) on the right side. (There is one there in the casting, But for some reason honda elected not to drill it out and make it functional) There is a overflow vent in the float bowl and on the left side of the carb.

Well, when you dump your bike on the right side, more of the fuel finds its way into the inlet track instead of into a vent hose, thus causing more of a flooded condition, and more difficult re-starting.