Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 450 Test Ride

Finally got to ride the bike at both Cahuilla and Elsinore. Fit and finish: The bike looks pretty good, welds on the aluminum frame not as nice as the Yamahas, but definitely nicer than the Hondas. Weight: DOesn't feel as light as the Yamaha 450, feels more like the Honda. Handling: Turns better than the Honda 450, but not as good as the RM 250. About on a par with the YZ450, but feels less top heavy. Suspension: Very good as expected. The Showa components are similar to the RM 250, and although expected to work better with the 4-stroke it's not quite there yet, but I'm sure a revalve will makes this a much better set-up, especially the rear. Engine: Power delivery is nice, but not very broad. Yamaha has this one beat hands down! The RMZ is CRF like, but makes most of its power down low. This is a short shifter which doesn't work as nicely with the 4 speed as the finely matched Yamaha. It is questionable as to whether the weight savings of the RMZ 4 speed was worth it. Maybe an exhaust system will help?

Joe :thumbsup:

How was the engine vibration, starting, and the brakes?

I had a CDale and it felt slower than my YZ450F, but was actually a lot faster. The ohlins suspension just made it seem slower. Be interesting to see some lap time comparisions with the same rider of all 3 bikes for 05.

Thanks for the quick review,

I had an 02 C440 and thought the motor was awesome. I never came to terms with the weight and suspension though.

Joe

My E440 was very stiff for a while. I actually put stiffer springs in it and it made the ride plusher cause I was riding in the midstroke (too heavy for the stock stuff). Also takes 10 times longer to break Ohlins in than the cheap stuff.

The motor is way faster then my 03 YZ450 or my 04 KTM 525. It felt slow, but it was really going fast cause the suspsension and the smoothness of the FI made it seem slow. I could hit 60mph on straights that I can only get to 50 on my KTM.

I should of kept it, story of my life, sell it, then want it back. :cry:

Cheers,

Since everyone gets all moist over the crf's ergos, how were the rm-z's? :cry:

I had a CDale and it felt slower than my YZ450F, but was actually a lot faster.

OHV, Keep smoking that Northern California weed. There is no way in hell your Canyon Snail is a lot faster than a YZ450.

OHV, Keep smoking that Northern California weed. There is no way in hell your Canyon Snail is a lot faster than a YZ450.

rofl, honestly my RM feels alot faster then my friends 250F, top speed wise, but it isn't. The weird thing about riding that bike is its alot quieter when you're riding it then when you're next to,behind or aside from one. Perhaps the CDale motor made a good amount of oomph, you need suspension to get that power to the ground though, on the track or trail :cry:

Too funny..........Cdale faster than a YZF....you should have worked for Cannondale Marketing dept.... :cry:

This guy is F.O.S. He never rode any RMZ450. How do I Know?

He thinks a YZ450 turns and the 4 speed on the yzf450 is spaced well. I know no one riding a YZF450 that is not running a 47 tooth sprocket and always feeling between gears. The motor on the CRF450 is slow and a C-dale is faster than a YZF450. The C-dale was a pig with the worst running motor out. I spoke to Falicon who was suppose to fix the cranks on that thing and couldn't because the quality sucked. They made new ones for ATK from scratch. The Ohlin wanna be suspension is no were near the new tech in the 48 mm ohlins. They are 10 plus years out of date. :cry: nice try cowboy

I think the thing to wait for is the mag tests.....pro testers would say if it is good or really good....anyway unless you are a legit A-rider.......any of the big five bikes....properly set up.....would work for most of us humans...the exception I would have to agree would be owning a C-dale.

I don't trust mag tests, only real track numbers. There was a guy in the Redding senior class that raced a CRF450 for while and was getting 4-6th place all the time. He got a CDale raced it about 5 races or so til the motor blew, but holeshot every race and got 1st in every race. When he went to a new 03 CRF450 at the time he went back to 4-6 place again.

I dyno'd my CDale at 45hp, YZ at 48, and my 525EXC at 46. The cdale has the least wheelspin and the 525 has the most. HP is the most overrated # in MX, torque is what gets you off the line, HP kicks in later.

The CDale was a fat pig, but the extra weight help to keep the rear wheel hooking up, and the ohlins suspension worked much better (once dailed) than my YZ or KTM. My ohlins works required 3 tie down straps each. All other bikes only need one, same straps. the springs are just cheap in the jap bikes. Ohlins is quality, owned by yamaha, but unfortunity they don't offer it as a option when you buy.

My point was to ride the bike and see if you have faster lap times. For me the CDale was far better than my YZF, and I've been sorry since I sold the Cdale and go the YZF, I think I'd be happier if I had a YZ250 cause at least then I would have 5 gears and a motor that doesn't stall if someone breaths hard.

l8r,