Sign in to follow this  

Benefit of the new DRZ-400-SM for all

My point is, with this bike available, converting an older DRZ may not be the best move once you factor in that you'll have a new bike with much higher resale value. If you're this bike's intended audience (obviously not the hardcore racing crowd), it's a great deal. If you're shopping for a DRZ supermoto for the street, this bike is a no-brainer. A conversion may have some higher quality parts, but it will cost way more once resale is factored in.

The new SM is an S with 17's, brakes and forks.

Plus a speedo that works, trimmed down lighting, new seat, lightweight SM engine guards, swingarm, exhaust... Darn near half the bike looks different to me.

trimmed down lighting?must be seeing something way different than i am?

new seat?looks like the same seat to me...

those are the engine guards all drz's come with..

the swing arm is cool and so is the exhuast.

let me recap.......its a S with a new swing arm,forks,17's,big forn rotor,rm rear rotor set up,different muffler and maybe a tailight difference (that looks like a euro S tail light).

I guess different than the S in my garage would be more accurate. My seat doesn't have seams like that one, so I'm thinking that they put better material on the top. Who knows... My tail light assembly is twice the size of that one. Mine doesn't have engine guards that mold around the water pump.

that is the euro/aussie tail light.my bet is by time the D.O.T. is done with that bike it will have the same tail light as the current US S model (like yours).as well as all the reflectors its missing. :cry:

i have a bunch of those engine guards.want some?

the seat deal is shearly to do the 2 tone effect like the rest of the suzuki dirt line.

I think the back tire is a 140/70/17, it looks pretty small to me! :cry:

The bike looks pretty cool in black! :cry:

Well Eddie I just might buy the darn thing if I can get it in black. I may have to borrow your garage for a while to hide it in while I explain how it just followed me home. In 32 years she's done heard every lie I can think up. I'll just try and be brave and say well Eddie has two of them then I'll point out actually he has 3 of em. I don't know if it will work or not but that bikes coming home with me. prairiedawg :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

When I bought my S I bought it to be a dirt bike. I take it on fire roads and weak trails and thats about it. I'm thinking about getting an older 4 stroke that I can thrash around a bit more than my DRZ.

I love my DRZ on the street tho.. I love being able to cut through the trails on the way to work and being able to hop up and down curbs like no other bike can.

I have been really thinking about doing a SM conversion.. But I'm a bit worried about spending a grand or more on this.

How much do you guys think I would lose if I traded my 2004 S in for one of these? My S doesnt really have any bad scratches on it yet. I've only laid it down in the dirt once. It has about 1200 miles on it.

I could always do a conversion and make mine a Motard.... I bet I would have the only blue one around here.

I was at a dealer yesterday. The bike is scheduled for a november release over here. He says the speedo gear in the front wheel is changed and that I should be able to just order that part for my 17's. I'll let you all know in November.

Also, I'm willing to bet that the rear wheel is no wider than 4.0 inches which looks really puny. Going the aftermarket route with my standard bike, I went with a 4.5 inch wide wheel which looks great with a 160 tire and I have my stock wheels for off-roading, which I never seem to do since I went motarded.

yah,thats the euro unit.i hope they keep it too.the normal S tail light is like a tv set. :cry:

I dont think they will. all the pics of drz's i saw in suzuki literature had that tail light,i was bummed when i picked up my bike and saw the tv light :cry: that light is led too sealed in epoxy

I'm very pleased with the dual sport aspect of the DRZ, it is nice to see something offered for the supermoto desires, but I'm not sure theres anything on that bike to warrant that price jump other than popularity.

If this was offered when I was shopping I would have got it and saved for spare dirt rims...!!!

Kudos to zuki for offering this in North America, guess we will be seeing more on the road next year. :cry: :cry: