Sign in to follow this  

What kind of lighting for the 24hr??????

CRF250X, What kind of lighting do I need????? Stock with helmet light or Aftermarket and no helmet light???

Or all of the above??? :thumbsup:

Candles taped to the fender!

:thumbsup:

Honestly, I am running a LeadDog helmet light. I think most of the teams were running a light on the helmet along with standard headlights.

Some are spending big bucks, but mine cost about $100, and wires into the bike harness.

Some other options are Cyclops, TrailTech and BajaDesigns.

I think you can get a dual LED/HID system for arond $200 from Cyclops. PM Trav, as that is the system he is running.

See ya there, E-WA, and I'll be bringin' ya a couple of Whistling Pigs for your pre-ride energy drink.

:devil:

If you want to run any serious lighting on the X you will need the stator rewound. Its an AC/DC system and just doesnt put out enough to run the engine system and good high drain lights.

I took my bike down to Trail tech (good excuse for the wife and I to drive!) and this is now what I have.

Stator rewound, cranks out way over 100 watts now.

I am going to do a write up on what they did for me, just have to get my thoughts on paper and post here on TT.

Purchased and had wired in the connecting link for their dual HID helmet system, very sweet set up and bright as day.....I have fired it up at the house and lit up the block and other homes rather impressively!!!!!!

I am going to mount these lights on the chin bar of my helmet, BELOW line of sight. Last year I ran a single 35 watt halogen spot on top of my helmet, worked well until there was any dust, then it was like having high beams on in fog....... :devil:

I am going to swap out my front headlight for a DOT approved unit running the H-4 bulb. I have more than enough juice to run this stuff so am very happy!

:thumbsup:

I think anyone that ran last year would agree, you cant have too much light and honestly about midnight when you are motoring around, those $2000 HID Baja set ups sound really really really cheap!

bottom line, you need good lights....

Hope this helps!

HR

:lol:

:awww:

I thought I would add that the cyclops are local dudes (from kent) and provide 100% gurantee on their light, and they gurantee that it's indestructible so if you break it in any way they will replace it. Also, they will be at the 24-hr race supporting their customers. If you buy the battery powered version of their light they will have fresh batteries there for you to use.

I have the Cyclops, and used it at the last night race at Starvation Ridge. It worked well, but I would second the earlier comment that a chin mounted system would be nice in the dust!

All in all, for the $$$, the Cyclops is a very good option. :cry:

Trav, which model of Cyclops lights did you get or recommend?

HR, how much was the rewind and is it gonna be reliable?

http://www.cyclopsmotorsports.com/ BigHelmet.jpg

This is the one Oldbones has,, He showed it to me some weeks back.... I rode with Unklegorge a few weeks ago when he was tring out his HID's from TT.. NOT IMPRESSED, not at all. I've used HID's from KC on the race jeep,, and know what HID lighting should be,, these aint them. :cry: :cry:

I may get a set anyway,, as they are slightly better then the Cyclops Oldbones showed me.... though at twice the price. Also,, the HID's shutdown if you have them on and start the bike.. it takes them a bit over a minute to come back on.. So you must turn them off during a restart,, or loose um for awhile.

EDIT: OK not twice the price

Single HID single_helmet_hid.jpg $129... so only $29 more

Double HID dual_helmet_hid.jpg

$229 :cry: :cry: :cry:

I get more confused by the minute. HR said the X doesn't have enough voltage output to run much......I wonder if I could run 1 helmetlight plugged in to the bike and the other run with a battery pack. Then if cyclops is at the race I could get a fast recharge or spare battery.

What's new ewe, you're always confused. Been out in your asparagus patch tonight??? :cry:

You can always use the yoshisaki after dark, even with the kicker I still put out 150W :cry:. I plan on being able to run in the dark so I'm going to use all of the bike that I can, I've been told the bike would actually like to see more of a load than stock anyway. I should have 100W for lights easily. And then there will be the self contained battery lights, yep I've got some plans. Now if that darned engine would get here. Tuesday will never come.......... :cry:

1. Trailtech will be at the race.

2. You can run the HID set up like I have on batteries if you want, or hardwired. I wanted to go hardwire, dont like hoping that batteries charge between runs.

3. We have batteries in our bikes so once you juice the HIDs up they stay fired until you kill the bike.

4. The HID lights take maybe 10 seconds MAX to get white/blue full power Batman, just have to wait until the capacitor gets pumped and then zap. There is a circuit check system in the cable/starter system with the HIDs that lets you know battery status (if you are running batteries) Electrical system status etc, kind of a mini diagnosis system built in.

5. I think the rewire was $110 or so, have to check my reciept or my fading memory. You will also need a new Full Wave Regulator/Rectifier with the re-wind which is 29. Thing is they had my X down there and know all the nuances of the bike etc etc.

Lots of good options out there, I ran a 35 watt halogen last year, in fact a specific narrow beam driving light set up on my helmet. It was better than no helmet light, trust me it was nice, but after seeing the HIDs and now having a set, I will just be happy I have an awesome wife that let me lay down the change for the HID system. There is no comparison with the halogen output compared to the HID systems, sorry there isnt. Beam penetration, depth, brightness etc etc. I will only be pulling 26 watts total with both these fired up which leaves me plenty of spare for the H-4 set up. I did a side by side with the HIDs and the helmet set up I had last year.....wow....different league. Plus, I can use this snowmobiling, mountain biking etc and this night racing stuff is in my blood now! I had a rebate check and the better half said I could use it for lights....so..I didnt give her the chance to reconsider!....Trail Tech set me up!

:cry:

HR

:cry: :cry: :lol:

Hmm, the HIDs in the pic have an on/off switch. Maybe that's new.

I know with mine, whenever I bump the starter they turn off and stay off until I unplug them, wait a while, then plug them back in. (>60s sometimes) Not good for during a race. I might just have to kick the bike to start it in the dark. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking relay to turn the lights off when the starter had power, but Fry's didn't have one that could handle the ~30w. (And they're heavy)

Other options .... Large cap and some diodes to handle the couple second dip in power.

They are bright though. I'm liking that. :cry: :cry: :cry:

- Ryan

Ryan, why not call and ask about getting your set, upgraded to the "new?" switched version? Seems that would solve the issue you were having that night.

I'll let ya know how the switched version works on tuesday when the man in brown drops mine off :cry:

You guys got me more confused now than ever. So if I got 2 helmet lights would I be seriously lacking in light????

damn dry side thumpertalkers.......sheeesh

1. The X headlight does not have enough juice to allow you to run race speeds at night. Its a get me home its too late sun almost down light, more of a running light, not a race light.

2. The stock Stator honestly cant handle much more than what is on the bike stock.

3. IMO and those of us that ran last year, more lights is better, pushing a stage light from a rock concert is prefered, but not possible due to the generator you would have to tow behind you in a trailer. It is darker than 10 feet up a bulls ass out there.

4. If you can swap with someone else on your team at night that has a good light set up, then you are golden. max of 6 bikes per team total.

5. You have lots of options for additional lights for the X.

<ul type="square"> [*]Battery powered lights (cyclops, Trail Tech HID and others out there) Nice thing on these is you ONLY have to get these and just figure out how to recharge your system between runs. Your stock headlight still wont contribute much to the fight, but its better than a chemical light!

[*]Rewind the stator on your X. This gives you the ability to run a real headight on your X and hard wire your choice of helmet lights as well as grip heaters etc..you will have plenty of juice.

[*]If you run a helmet light in addition to a headlight you will be way ahead. If you can run dual helmet lights, all the better in terms of the path and distance that is lit up in front of you, each additional light capability (that works) minimizes the chance you will outdrive your lights. If you have crap lights your night speed will suck. My helmet light went off after a crash (came unplugged) after I got going. STock headlight on a WR is pretty good, but when my helmet light turned off for a second, I didnt like that at all. Things got a lot darker and my confidence in going faster dropped considerably, just couldnt see as far out from the bike and the brain just wouldnt let the right hand twist very much.

I would recommend taking your X out around your place once it gets dark, a trail or area you know really well. See how fast the stock unit lets you go (which with the stock running light, wont be fast unless your a bat).

Helmet lights are super cause where you look you have light. with the headlight, its at the mercy of terrain and your front end. Its all over the place and useless in turns and jumps, drop offs and......well just about anything other than pretty smooth and straight ahead.

If you get decent lights, yes, two lights on your bucket are better than one, and one is way mo better than NONE.

HR

damn dry side thumpertalkers.......sheeesh

That is why it's so nice to ride over here in the winter. Ride all winter and not have to wash your bike and don't have to have lights to ride into the bowels of some dark dank muddy forest :cry: I do know the x light is very marginal, as it only shows out about 40 feet and a very flat beam. Just trying to figure out what can be done with out spending $600 bucks. WHat is this 6 bikes minimum crap???????? I thought it was run what you brung and was bringing my whole fleet. OK where are the rules???????

That is why it's so nice to ride over here in the winter. Ride all winter and not have to wash your bike and don't have to have lights to ride into the bowels of some dark dank muddy forest :cry:

WHat is this 6 bikes minimum crap???????? I thought it was run what you brung and was bringing my whole fleet. OK where are the rules???????

No, thats why we can ride over here without looking like the Michelin Man or a super inflated Stay Puff Marshmellow......Plugging my bike into a 220 volt engine heater before I ride is not fun. If I am going to do that I will do it on a Snowmobile! Also riding a High HP dirt bike on ice is way down on my list of events. Spent many of my years in eastern washington....you can keep the October-March period thank you.....its all yours (unless I am hunting pheasants....then thats different!)

Its not a 6 bike Minimum, its a 6 bike maximum. You can have fewer bikes, but once the race starts the 6 you start with is it. If one breaks, then your TEAM has 5 etc etc. You cant swap out bikes. Your team can swap bikes in fact your team can run ONE bike if you want.

If you are trying to keep costs down and still get better lights.....

I would look at the lead dog, cyclops or Trail Tech battery operated option.

But that is a wet sider's opinion (and a Coug btw) so what do I know.

HR

You know HR, if you didn't go all the way to the Polouse, it would not of been that cold. Around the tri-cities, it is fairly moderate during the winter, it's dry cold. :cry:

So do you want a flood light on the bike and a spot light on the helmet or one of each? How bout a one of each on the helmet or just 2 floods???? I'm not a moron, just play one on TT :cry:

OH and, go Cougs :cry: :cry: :cry:

A couple of rolls of duct tape and a handful of mini-mags and we could get ya all set up there ewe :cry: