Sign in to follow this  

What kind of lighting for the 24hr??????

A couple of rolls of duct tape and a handful of mini-mags and we could get ya all set up there ewe :cry:

Best suggestion yet, 10guy :cry: :cry: :cry:

That about fits my budget....which is NILL. Seriously Im screwed in the light department. When its my turn to ride night Im gonna need to

A: Borrow a nicely lit bike

B: Borrow a helmet with a light(Big head XL)

C:Both of the above

D: Farkin ride balls out with my KTM headlight and hope I remember what the course looks like.

Sorry dudes unemployments hangin around a weeeeee bit longer than expected. But the good part is I can ride fast when I can see....... :cry:

my light of choice is the niterider HID systems (this is what baja designs sells, but you can get them a lot cheaper off other sites). my main reason is that after last year at the 24hr I did not like having the helmet light mounted directly on top of the helmet because it was nearly impossible to adjust it while riding (e.g., in the case of get-off that knocks it out of alignment, etc.). With the niterider mount you can easily reach up and adjust it while riding the bike. It adjust horizontally by clicking in and out, and the mount swivels up and down for vertical adjustment. I think it's also a better position for woods riding as it's less likely to get knocked off by a branch when woods riding. I rode the 24hr-buttstomper with the niterider system and it worked great. 4-6 hours of bright white light.

A battery powered system also has a few advantages IMO. For example, the bike doesn't need to be running for the light to work. You can use the light anywhere and on any bike, which is nice if you are sharing bikes or sharing the light itself or using the light for other applications. You are not tethered to the bike, so you don't have to worry about the light getting jerked off in the case of a bad get-off where you are separated from your bike (and in that situation it might come in handy "to find your bike" since your light is still on :cry:). These lighting systems are inteded to last a race with +4 hours of power, so you really don't need to worry about recharing or anything.

HH-on-helemt-big.jpg

HIDhelmet1.jpg

Trail Tech is working on a 8" HID light for less than $400. It draws 40 watts,(must be DC) and is in an aluminum quick-change frame. Looks really cool in the photo. ( No, I don't know how to save and post pics,sorry.) You can pester Geoff or Rick at Trail tech for more info.

ONE COMMON FAULT I HEAR IN EVERYONE'S PLANS: They are planning on conditions like last year!No one's considering rain, mud or even snow!

I am. :cry:

considering rain, mud or even snow

I say bring it on! the nastier the better IMO. I think they should scatter some logs and big rocks out along the track as well. have ourselves as harescramble :cry:

Hmm, a corn maze would be sweet.

:cry: :cry:

Pretty funny, but now you have done it! After the farmhouse last year, I would not put this past Scoot!

:cry:

Last year i tried a single trail tech hid headlight w/ battery. With the dust factor it didn't work at all on the top of my head.

I duct taped it to the flap of plastic that goes from the # plate around the handlebar. That allowed for consistent lap times within minutes of daytime laps. I put the battery in my fanny pack and didn't crash all night.

I had a nice halogen bulb bicycle light on the bars too in case the hid went out on one of those 55 mph jumps! :cry:

This year things will be different!

Let it SNOW!

Are studs going to be legal again?

Yahoo! :cry:

r

Studs are legal,there will be lots of new sections,( most with rocks,I have one 100+mph section I am trying to figure how to slow down, one creek crossing(dry right now) that will challenge the unwary.AN ALL NEW COURSE LAYOUT. No one will have home-court advantage.

except me! :cry:

I'm hoping to have a section for everyone to hate out of all the different stuff we are looking at. :cry:

Studs are legal,there will be lots of new sections,( most with rocks,I have one 100+mph section I am trying to figure how to slow down, one creek crossing(dry right now) that will challenge the unwary.AN ALL NEW COURSE LAYOUT. No one will have home-court advantage.

except me! :cry:

I'm hoping to have a section for everyone to hate out of all the different stuff we are looking at. :cry:

Damn and my X only goes 45mph :cry:

I have one 100+mph section I am trying to figure how to slow down

HA, when I hit 89mph my elbow whispers "Slow down dummy" :cry: