Sign in to follow this  

Spark Arrestor Question

Will a stock pipe on an 03 YZ250F meet trail riding criteria for Michigan DNR? I am going to northen Michigan for a week of riding and need to know if I will be ok. Do I need to get a spark arrestor?:devil: I would hate to go all that way and get in SH*T :thumbsup:.

BTW...my bike is a Canadian version if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Mike :awww:

yes, you need a spark arrestor in Michigan, or at least some sort of screen in your exhaust. you could probably get away with a temporary installation of fine wired mesh screen somehow placed toward the end of the exhaust, as they'll place a rod in to check to see if there's a screen.

I just rode in Michigan over Labor Day weekend. If you are riding on State land then you absolutely need to have a spark arrestor. Technically the db limit is 94db. I bought a Dr. D with the spark arrestor and also bought the silent insert. The USFS guys did check my pipe for the spark arrestor but they just had me start my bike to make sure that it wasn't to loud.

Check out the Michigan DNR website if you need any more info. Don't forget that you also need a Michigan ORV sticker. $16.25 or something close to that.

You can buy the Promotobillet spark arrestor and silencer that will fit on the stock YZ exhaust. :awww:

:thumbsup::devil::lol::D

The USFS guys checked my pipe for the Forestry stamp to make sure that it was all legal... :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input. We rode the trails in the Cheboygan/Black River Michigan area...what a blast.

About the Spark Arrestor: Before I left I called a Yamaha Dealer (in the US, that was on the way) and they said they had no in-stock Spark Arrestor's for my bike and told me I should be ok with a stock pipe anyways. I looked at my buddy's KTM and Spark Arrestor was clearly stamped on the pipe. I was getting a little nervous at that point. We carried on with our trip without, and once there rode without incident. We ran into (not literally) the DNR and they made no mention of my exhaust, just got a warning to stay out of the ditch along a roadway as there are buried lines. So we carried on and had a real good time. I will definately be going back...and yes...with a pipe clearly marked to the USFS standard.

Mike :cry:

If you don't want to pop the coin for a full exhaust system, I second the Promoto Billet end cap. Have one on my 03 and had no noticible loss of power. Plus if you get into a situation when you need to make db requirements, they have a optional silent insert.

Shane

Yeah, I did some surfing today and read up on the Pro-Moto Billet arrestor and insert, it looks like a good set-up. I also looked at the Pro-Moto Billet kickstand and a Clarke 3.1 gallon fuel tank.

HMMMMMM...$100 here $100 there, I'm starting to wish I went with the WR...DOH!

Hey Shane,

I notice you have the Power Now. What set-up is it? Powe Now, Power Now Plus, or Power Now System? How was installation on the '03 carb? Is it a noticable difference in the power band?

:cry:

Well Mike,

I sure hope we don't get jumped all over for bringing up the dreaded Powernow topic, but.....let's see if I can explain what I have done.

I have the Powernow only. The second version, with the hole, that goes on the carb, airbox side.

I will probably buy a Powernow Plus sooner or later, cause I love to spend money on my bike and am curious to see how it works.

The Powernow system is nothing more than a Marketing sceme that includes both pieces at one price instead of buying them separatly.

Installation on the Powernow was simple, unclip the rubber connecting boot from the carb and push it out of the way. Line up and beat in the Powernow and put the boot back together.....Done.

Now for how it worked. Everyone has different opinions on this subject. I will only tell you that it worked for me on my 250F and my bro in law on his 450F. Definatley felt an increase on the low end torque, especially coming out of corners in a low gear. Helped slow rolling wheelies as well. I didn't feel a loss on the upper end, probably cause I don't often hit 5th gear on a track or through the woods and I don't feel the need to do 70 mph up dirt mountian, logging, or fire roads.

This is only my 2 cents, like I said, there are many out there with other results. A lot of people will tell you to just make one, I would have, but was impaitient and wanted it right then, besides I wanted the option to remove it if needed.

Shane

I was on the dubachracing.com website and I think they have a spark arrestor endcap similar to the promotobillet that's a little less expensive.

Just a little F.Y.I. :cry: