Sign in to follow this  

Tire pressure question

I am looking for tire pressure reccomendations. I looked through the archives and found race track reccomendations, but not street. I have a 2004 WR450F with 17" wheels 3.5 in the front and 4.25 rear. I am running a Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa on the rear and a Michelin Pilot Race H2 on the front. Of course I want good grip, but I also am hoping to get a lot of miles out of these tires. What tire pressure are you street motard guy running. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Personally I'd run a bit higher on the street for mileage, more like 28-30. A lot of the dirt guys like low pressures since that's what they're used to, so probably lower feels more 'natural'. But in terms of outright grip and wear, closer to 30 should fit the bill. That's about what you run on a 250 proddy that share about the same sizes and construction if you go for a lighter weight carcass. On my 250 track proddy I run 32 in the wet and around 26 in the dry. Street more like 30 front 32 rear.

Bottom line, take in people's preferences, try them out and work out what feels best for you :thumbsup:

has nothing to do with dirt preferences.

its about using tires that were designed for much heavier bikes.

whatever floats your boat. :thumbsup:

A roadracer that weighs 125# more will run 30-32#. If I put that much in my riders bike, his butt would have more traction on the track than his tires!

Also at that high a pressure the tires will not heat up to the temp it takes to make them work well. Tdub

I'm talking Dunlop GPR70, light carcas designed for a 250 2-stroke (weight around 120-130kgs). I'm taking a stab and saying that running something like a pilot sport or a 207, M1 etc would probably be a little less due to stiffer carcas construction. I'm assuming that distanzias or maxxis dedicated SM tyres will be of a construction closer to that of a GPR than a pilot etc. However, what I'm saying is max pressures around 30/32. Max road bike pressure for a pilot sport/M1/207/diablo/etc is around 36/42 (f/r). So the allowance is already being made for.

Remember I'm talking road pressures for maximum tyre life, where you generally don't test the limits of the tyre. In this environment you can run much higher pressures and still have more than enough grip with longer tyre wear. Or you can run very low pressures and get less mileage. If you don't like the feel of the higher pressure then go lower and be happy with a bit less tyre life. There's no black and white, its what you're most comfortable with as an individual and as a rider.

Same thing goes in road bikes. Some people swear by running pressures around 32-34psi. Personally I run a rear around 38 and could probably go higher without an adverse affect on grip. However I like the feel of the tyre at 38 compared to 42, so I go with that. There's an equivalence to my prior statement about people feeling more comfortable with lower tyre pressures. It's all relative.

Just to be clear, when I mentioned road bikes in the last para I really meant big bore road bikes, not lightweight roadies ala 250/400 etc.