Sign in to follow this  

Idle Speed increases as bike warms up?

My WR250 (01), is touchy if not "hot" before ridden hard, but otherwise runs fine, the quesiton(s) I have are

1. why does the bike pick up idle speed as it warms up, I fire it up in the A.M. before I ride to work and it idles fine, choke out for 30 seconds, shut off choke and idle speed is normal, put on helmet, packpac, coat, gloves etc... and come out to a much higher idle speed.

Any ideas why? Is this Normal?

2. if not properly warmed up to "hot" the bike will sputter, and hesitate on the top end? (no matter how long of a drive)

I have no Idea why, Carb has been cleaned, looks great, motor sounds good too, just runs like crap unless... I stop, restart... and wait for more temp, I let it idle for 5 min... and it rips once again....

any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

My son's YZ250F began to behave something like it had a vacuum leak or a badly worn slide in that the idle speed did not want to stabilize. It would increase more than normal as temps went up, and when I reved it up the idle would hang, then drop off, then eventually stumble and die. It turned out to be tight intake valves. Check your clearances.

im not sure as in accordance with another post i do not ride it till i see some good heat waves comin off the header...neways when i start my bike (no choke cuz its not cold) it starts and stalls a few times before it will run and then after about 30 seconds of idling the idle speed picks up and thats when i know its gettin warm.

but about the sputtering i've tried to ride it a little bit cold when i first got it because i didnt know and it sputtered all around, and if i touch the gas at all when i first start it, the thing stalls...but it dissappears when im riding so i dunno

why dont you just warm the bike up every time u ride it?