Sign in to follow this  

rear lock/adjusting nut

Setting my sag thanks to you all for the first time. I can't get the lock ring to seperate from the adjuster. I am able to move them together as a unit and this is what I ended up doing. It is now set alright, but is there a special way to get them apart? Do I need to? Is this how you all do this type of thing? I even bought the spanner wrench tool because using a punch dented the teeth and never moved the rings. Thanks all!!

If you got them to move together, all you have to do is put pliers on the staggered notches (castlations) and give them a squeeze. That should bust them loose. Once your adjustment is complete, the top nut needs to be locked firmly against the bottom. Just don't get carried away.

Heaven forbid you dent the jam nut lugs. Put some WD40 on the shock threads. Get a friend to hold the bottom nut with the wrench you bought and you use a punch/screwdriver and hammer on the top nut in the direction that will loosen it from the other nut. Make sure the bike is on a stand to remove weight from the shock spring. I don't like the idea of turning both nuts as a unit as I think there's a possibility of stripping/damaging the threads on either the nuts or more likely, the shock itsself.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Got them apart with both technique's. All fixed up and back in business. :thumbsup: