Sign in to follow this  

Man, my leg is dying here...

Well...I started back on my fitness program again...kinda. I have been riding my bicycle a bit, but today, I felt good and said "Today is a good day to run..."....errr...or try to. :thumbsup:

Well, I decided to just try 1 mile. It was absolute torture. :devil: The leg is hurting pretty good, the muscles screamed in agony when I tried to reach out properly and land heel first. I was able to go about a 1/8 mile before I had to stop and walk, but then I went again...I jogged about half of the mile in all, and let me tell you what. I am paying for it dearly :awww: But nobody said the comeback was going to be easy. I made it back to the house and for good measure I got on the bicycle and did a solid hard 20 minutes to finish torturing myself. I will ket it rest tomorrow and then one day of the weekend I am going to do a 15 mile bike ride out to my parent's house at a moderate easy pace....and then make them give me a ride home! Ahahahah....

Tomorrow morning is going to be rough, and tomorrow night at the birthday party I am going to need some extra cool beverage to soothe my pain...GBMIII on October 10th, I may not be riding like I planned..it has been 4.5 months since my major getoff...

Man, I gotta admire your tenacity. :devil: Thats the only way to come back. I tore my shoulder up 4 months ago, and still am working on normal range of motion, not to mention strength. Stick with it, it pays off in the long run. :thumbsup:

I know what your going thru, I snapped my fib tib during a race at Adalanto and they had to go thru my knee to insert the rod. rehab was tough...what worked best for me was cold water therapy, the colder the better, use a swim fin.

when my leg got stronger I was at the gym every day, along with a lot of stretching,I was riding in a couple of months.

Hang in there. :thumbsup:

I've been there.......had a Total Knee done(2 doc's 12 hrs. each working on it, 14 days in hosp. and then 9 months full leg cast).

They said NOT to run on it....just too much banging around is not good, but riding a bike is a must to get it back in shape. Now the Good knee is the Bad one(used it too much to baby the other one)..........$UKCS!!

But Good Luck!! :devil:

It's a little too late now, but... Ease into it. Increase the intensity of your workouts each time until you find your limit. It's important not to push an injury too far - you can cause further injury. :devil: Working out is only 1/3 of the equation. You also need enough rest. I'm not just talking about 8 hours of sleep. :thumbsup: Work out a muscle group and allow that muscle group to heal completely before working it out again. In the meantime you can hit other muscle groups. The final third to the equation is nutrition. Eat lots. Don't try to diet and gain strength at the same time. Eat your body weight in grams of protien (180lbs = 180 grams). Eat plenty of dark green vegetables. Drink milk! A multivitamin won't hurt either. To avoid gaining too much bodyfat avoid eating unecessary foods (empty calories). An example - DON'T avoid eating red meat for fear of it having too much fat. It contains enough protien and vitamins (iron) to make it's high calorie content worth it - especially if your muscles are sore from working out. DO avoid candy bars, beer (did I really say that? :awww:), and french fries. These foods are high in calories and offer little/no nutritional value. :lol:

I hope this didn't sound "preachy", just trying to help. :D

Hey Rapture,

Glad to hear you are finally on the long road to recovery. I concur with the advice given by DOVIL. He apparently has studied A&P or has multiple personal experiences. It looks as if I may be moving to Florida soon from here in South America so at least I'll be closer to the Ranch. Hopefully you'll be back up on the bike by then and we can thrown down some more laps together. MX here in Colombia is pretty cool and a totally different atmosphere than in the states. I race the only CRF450 and everyone wants to buy it. Not just yet... Get this, I am now 41 years old and when I went out to my first race here, I practiced with the 250cc C class. Big Mistake! They almost killed me! Then I went out with the A (Pro) class and held my own ok. Well, the spouse element signed me up because I was running out of time so she decided to put me in the B Class. When I showed up to the starting line, the other racers protested me and told the race officials to put me in the A Class because they saw me doing all the jumps in practice. When I asked where the Vet class was, they told me the B Class was it that it was combined. I just had to laugh because the majority were less than half my age. Well, I have been racing the 250cc pro class at the national level here (not like AMA by a long shot) and have been consecutively placing in the top 5th to 7th place. So from one vet to another, just wanted to share this with you and wish you well in your recovery. The Ranch awaits us! :cry:

Keith, don't bother running, just ride a bicycle instead. There is virtually no impact riding a bicycle where the running just pounds on your bones. If you ride hard you will easily get your endurance back.

Keith,

I know you've had to wait a long time, but try easing back into the workouts!

Fred's right, mountain biking is good. My personal current favorite is swimming.

Just hang in there.

Thanks for the replies guys, I figured a simple mile would not be bad....yikes! Even at the smoothest pace I could do, it was agony...

Looks like I will be back on the bicycle for a few weeks more at least! Sunday I am indeed going to take a longer ride and keep my heart rate up into the 150's and see how long I can maintain...

My resting heart rate is still hanging around 59-60 even after over 4 months of very low cardio. It was down to 47 before I got hurt though...

I will get it back, I just need to find a safe place to ride the bike, don't want to become a Buick hood ornament, I got hit by a car a few years back on my bike and knocked me smooth out, don't rememeber getting hit. I just woke up in the hospital with an incredible concussion and headache...and some road rash! :cry: Burned like hell when they made me sit in that antibacterial bath... :cry:

:cry: Man Rapture, walking a mile in your shoes sounds like one painful experience!!! A major getoff, appendicitis, and hit by a car? What's next...lightning? Oh man, I really shouldn't have said that. :cry: :cry:

I admire the fact that you are not giving up! My best friend crashed hard and broke 4 bones in his foot into 12 bones. He was couch-bound and unable to work for 6 months. He ended up selling his CRF and Toyota truck and buying his wife an Expedition. :cry: He's stuck driving a POS Honda Civic. It's been about a year and he wants to get another bike but his wife gives him holy hell when he so much as mentions it. She gives me the stink-eye when I come around because she thinks I'm behind it. :lol:

When riding is in your blood, you can't fight it. You have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and do whatever it takes to get back on. Good work man! :cry:

Hit the low impact aerobics classes at the gym...work you just as hard as running and you can chat/check out young hot trim...and the wife cant get mad...its rehab!

First Few days are the worst in a come back. All that inner swelling is painfull. Ever try the home version of the Tendon Machine, Like at physical therapy{the electric shocker home kit; "tends unit"} You need one of those at your bedside! I even take the sport patches {aka: heat patch} and run the electroids under them all day at work. It will help to speed the healing process. :cry:

Keith, I was just wondering about how you were doing! It is great you are up and trying, that is what it takes. Have you ridden at all? I still havent gotten back on though I think I am ready but like you the muscles arent. Soon. Good Luck. I even thought about going woods riding just to get to ride without the jumps.