Sign in to follow this  

WA ORV ALERT! Includes road plated too!

OK, ran into a situation today. A buddie of mine went in to renew his license on his 2003 DRZ400S (dual sport model) and was told that if he rides it on the trails, he will now need ORV tabs in addition. Now if this wasnt enough, he was told that ORV tabs will be going up $17, this is not "to $17", but $17 above what your paying now. So if you have a road plated dirt bike, you will need to do both (Like Oregon does now) and the kicker is, it goes into affect on October 1st! And there is no warnings to let you know ahead of time. But if your tabs expire within 6 month after this date, you can buy them in advance, up to 6 months early. If this is the case, get er done! I think an email to your state represenatives and state senators is in order. And I wonder how much of this will go to ORV trails etc. It seems they have been taking away riding habitat, now they want to charge us more for less. And I road plated my motorcycle to ride roads, it looks like I will have to pay twice, road tabs, plus ORV tags! He was told this by the license agent. But I havent heard anything of this before. Can someone double check thsi info to confirm it? If it is true, we'd need to make a mad dash to the DOL before the 1st! :devil::thumbsup:

If you were a member of the NMA you would have heard all about this theft. The Washington Trails Ass. (WTA)got one of their members on the state commitee that doles out our off-road gas tax money (that boaters etc get refunded) and wrote a budget where almost all of the ORV trail maintenance funds were switched to non-motorized expenses. Things like parking and trails for bird watchers. To at least get something for the ORV community an agreement was reached where we increased our ORV tab cost and get THAT money for trail maintenance. The S.O.B's robbed us again. Join the BRC and NMA cause next budget session, the WTA will come after the new funds too.

I have been a hiker/climber for 37 years up in the PNW. I have written repeatedly to tax hiking gear and mt bikes just like we ORVers and hunters under Pittman Robertson pay. This $hits gotta stop. excuse the typos. I'm using a hotel computer and the keyboard is a POS

The NMA supported the increase in ORV tabs with the theory that the extra money WILL go to ORV use. Sure the greedies will try to take that too, but you can be sure the NMA will fight.

Guys, a VERY EASY way to directly support keeping out trails open is to volunteer for trail work parties, and education and enforcment. All the hours are added up and used to lobby for money. It directly shows that we CARE and SUPPORT our trail system. I finally got to attend my first work party this year, and must say that I was having fun the whole time. I'd hardly call it work.

Jeremy

Yes, that's right, stay informed. When you pay your street license, those fees do not go towards maintaining/developing ORV trails, with the now required ORV tabs, the money will get collected. Myself and lots of other NMA members have dual licensing (street license and ORV tabs on the same motorcycle).

The NMA approved these measures because our funds were robbed from the dirty rotten goons at the WTA. Compared to many other states the $30 is not that bad of a pill to swallow for ORV fees. We've been paying $5 per ORV (plus agent fee) for many years. The increase was long over due. Hey, when this first came out 2 years ago I was adamantly against the increase, until I started doing some digging and saw how we were getting screwed.

Another bill that is still in committee will allow ORVs to be operated on gravel, dirt, and other primitive roads without being street licensed. This includes county, state and federal roads (USFS roads). The ORV would require ORV tabs. This will be a huge gain if passed. It was held up in committee due to Gov Locke stalling the legislature last session. Keep your ears pinned for activity. And bug the living crud out of your reps.

Can someone explain to me how ORV funds can legally be stolen, I mean appropriated for uses other than ORV related ones?

I hope that bill passes that will allow ORV's on gravel roads and the like. We NEED that one bad.

Greg

That's our wonderful elected officials at work. The state of Washington is notorious for such theft. First they consider the money to be in a big pot, part of the general fund. Or they declare some kind of emergency with a promise to repay, but they never do! Not enough citizens squeal when it happens until it is too late. Meanwhile the WTA is leveraging their lobbyists, lawyers and crooked politicians to find ways to lock us out, either through land access, bogus environmental issues or via our money.

It is all a vicious cycle. Anyone sent in their fees for membership yet? www.sharetrails.org & www.nmaoffroad.org

The "Dual Use" may be a way for ORV registerd bikes to get a plate. They can be registered as dual use but not titled as dual use. We will be trying this Sat AM on a WR

Will keep ya all posted

Eric

So does this mean I need an ORV tag for my Samurai too?

What about this?

RCW 46.09.050

Vehicles exempted from ORV use permits and tags.

(6) Vehicles which are licensed pursuant to chapter 46.16 RCW or in the case of nonresidents, vehicles which are validly licensed for operation over public highways in the jurisdiction of the owner's residence.

Yes, that's right, stay informed. When you pay your street license, those fees do not go towards maintaining/developing ORV trails, with the now required ORV tabs, the money will get collected. Myself and lots of other NMA members have dual licensing (street license and ORV tabs on the same motorcycle).

The NMA approved these measures because our funds were robbed from the dirty rotten goons at the WTA. Compared to many other states the $30 is not that bad of a pill to swallow for ORV fees. We've been paying $5 per ORV (plus agent fee) for many years. The increase was long over due. Hey, when this first came out 2 years ago I was adamantly against the increase, until I started doing some digging and saw how we were getting screwed.

Another bill that is still in committee will allow ORVs to be operated on gravel, dirt, and other primitive roads without being street licensed. This includes county, state and federal roads (USFS roads). The ORV would require ORV tabs. This will be a huge gain if passed. It was held up in committee due to Gov Locke stalling the legislature last session. Keep your ears pinned for activity. And bug the living crud out of your reps.

The increase in fees is not the issue, the issue is they increase them and then in the same motion they close down riding areas and decrease the size of others, put more restrictions on riding and then give you a big old greasy grin and tell you not to worry we will take of you. :cry: it's [@#$%&*!] and everyone is buying into it.

Please post as soon as you confirm this!!! :cry:

I am about to get an Oregon plate for my new TE250 but if I can dual register it and get a Washington plate as well as an ORV tag it would save me a lot of time.

Looking forward to your information.

Greg

OK, ran into a situation today. A buddie of mine went in to renew his license on his 2003 DRZ400S (dual sport model) and was told that if he rides it on the trails, he will now need ORV tabs in addition.

Does anyone have any documentation or links to an official government web site that shows that this is happening?

I heard the ORV tag fee is being increased and that is a seperate issue.

I have never heard of any requirement that you have an ORV tag in addition to a license plate in order to ride the ORV trails.

I'm hoping this is a misguided/uniformed DOL worker.

ok you guys, about a month ago i had a bunch of legality questions about my dualsport bike and one of them was "does a street licened off road bike need an orv sticker in the state of washington. i asked an officer who is also a dualsport rider in the eastern part of washington. he is also a member of another dualsport forum. here is what he says.

"About a bike that is street licensed and ridden off road needing an

ORV tag. No, the bike does not need an ORV tag. The RCW states this very clear."

so.... unless this has been changed in the last month or so i'm not going to worry about it. hope it hasn't been changed as i have three dualsports that are street leagal.

Kaos

Here is the link to the bill about raised ORV fees:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo1/dspBillSummary.cfm?billnumber=2919

We did get ripped by a group spearheaded by the WTA that managed to get the IAC to sponsor a new fuel use survey that was wildly biased against us. We could only count the actual miles/gallons used on trails, all other users could count the all miles/gallons used from their driveway back to their driveway for their "non motorized activity fuel usage". I guess they figured that was fair since they don't actually use any fuel off road, and the "non highway" miles don't add up to enough to screw us over, so they just change the rules to fit their methodology. I could go on for a very long time about this, but the fact is, the lion's share of the NOVA money doesn't go to use anymore, but ALL of this increase does. It's the only money that's all ours, and without it, we are screwed big time IMO. The trails and staging areas must be maintained or else we're gonna have the same pricks that took our NOVA money lobby our legislature to shut down our trails to motorized usage due to the adverse effect on the environment - nothing new for the trolls, only this time they will have a lack of funds as proof that we cannot maintain trails.

I just registered my 520 SX for dual usage. I don't believe at this time there are any bills being carried over from last year that will require me to have a tag along with a plate, I did it because it's the right thing to do, and when you can do something good for your sport for less than the price of a case of beer, you shouldn't be looking for ways around it. Trail work parties are a great way to get involved in the care of your local riding area, everytime you ride by a spot that you worked on you'll really feel good about yourself. Call your local DNR reps to find out where and when, a day here and there really makes a huge difference.

One last thing before I get off my soapbox. Spend a little time looking up which congressmen/women and senators are helping our sport and which ones aren't, and VOTE! :cry:

Excellent post Tahuya Rat, thanks, that was perfect. All great info. I have a "fleet" of bikes and spent a huge chunk already. So this will make it costly for me, but if it all goes to trails or preserving our riding habitiat, its OK. I dont need to buy a case of beer anyhow, dont drink. :cry: I'd keep a close eye on the new funds, politicians have trouble looking at a lump of $$$ without getting the urge to spend it! I've been a life member of the BRC, but I have also printed up the application for the NMA and will sign up with them now. Do they have life membership? I hate sending in dues yearly, like to do it all at once and be done with it, then a donation every now and then as needed. And on November 2nd, you have a real important election coming up. My avatar give me away as to who I'm voting for, and the rest of my family! :cry:

Excellent post Tahuya Rat, thanks, that was perfect. All great info. I have a "fleet" of bikes and spent a huge chunk already. So this will make it costly for me, but if it all goes to trails or preserving our riding habitiat, its OK. I dont need to buy a case of beer anyhow, dont drink. :cry: I'd keep a close eye on the new funds, politicians have trouble looking at a lump of $$$ without getting the urge to spend it! I've been a life member of the BRC, but I have also printed up the application for the NMA and will sign up with them now. Do they have life membership? I hate sending in dues yearly, like to do it all at once and be done with it, then a donation every now and then as needed. And on November 2nd, you have a real important election coming up. My avatar give me away as to who I'm voting for, and the rest of my family! :cry:

You might wait till the beginning of the year. Their dues run from like Jan to Dec period. Thats when Im signing up with the NMA, I too am already a Blue Ribbon Coalition member.