2001 KLX300 BLUES

Hello, Im having problems with the 2001 klx300. My bike has had this problem every time I have taken it out but it hasnt totally ruined my riding yet. You see, the bike seems to feel like it is out of fuel at times, you give the bike throttle and it chokes the motor out. If you actually hold the throttle pinned the motor will die. If you flutter it lightly, the bike will idle and you can actually ride the bike through the gears, but the same rule apply's, no full throttle, and damnit thats how I ride! So anyway, it is an intermitant problem, but seems to show up when the bike is jarred hard or I go over whoops. The problem comes and goes, I am thinking the carb is to blame or maybe elecrical. Any suggestions would be helpful before teardown.

I'd pull the carb and clean it well. Also, the idea about the plugged vent line is a good idea too. Definately sounds like a carb issue, but I have had electrical problems that acted similar. All that said, I'd still start at the carb first. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Can any of you tell me whether I can remove that valve off the fuel tank breather line altogether and just run a straight line? Also, if I tear apart the carb, would any of you suggest rejetting this bike while Im in there and what kit is best...

(01 klx300)

You sure can run the bike without the check valve in the line. I'm running my KXF that way now, cause I thought I had the same kind of trouble you mention. I'm not really sure if it cured mine but it is a cheap way to eliminate one possibility.

Does the engine ever run strong at near wide open throttle? If not, you may have the California specified CVK carburetor. It is set very lean and if you open up the end of the muffler add/or remove the top of the air box, the engine runs so lean that it stumbles. When the carb is removed, check to see if the clip on the needle can be removed. If not, it's a Cal. model and the needle should be replaced with either a non- Cal. one or get the DynoJet kit for the carb.

Ride on

Brewster