Sign in to follow this  

Diesel Bike Land Speed Record!! F-1 Engineering!

To all:

Well, we did it. We set the first recognized Land Speed Records for diesel fueled motorcycles. The records will be unofficial for the mandatory 30 day review and then the AMA will publish the Official Records.

The event was marred by rain the previous week and poor track conditions. The track conditions limited top speeds due to soft, wet salt. In addition, as the first AMA/FIM recognized event of its type in the US, there were the unavoidable administrative delays, limiting track time.

Regrettably, we only had time to run two bikes. Both bikes had stock engines, one normally aspirated, the other turbocharged. Neither bike had any significant aerodynamic modifications. The normally aspirated bike went 85.466 mph against our calculated top speed of 86 mph with production gearing. The calculated speed was at sea level on hard pavement. The record was set at 4350 feet on soft salt. We are very pleased with the results. If we would have had an option for gearing and more track time, we may have approached 90 mph.

We had no calculations for the turbo bike. The bike was finished and first started last Sunday morning and was not actually ridden until my first pass as a rookie at Bonneville. I over estimated the gearing on the turbo bike and had no replacement gearing as our sprocket supplier failed to come through in time. The average of 91.286 mph for two runs was at 6200 rpm in 4th gear.

Both bikes performed flawlessly. Both bikes started first time, hot or cold, and I was told that the sound of the bikes going through the timing traps was "inspiring", especially for the turbo.

The turbo was a real surprise. Our research, and discussions with turbo suppliers here in the US indicated that we would be unsuccessful in turbocharging a single cylinder engine. We again seemed to be rewriting the book on diesel performance. The top speed and rpm are not the complete story. The engine accepted the turbocharging with virtually no turbo lag, even though we limited the boost to less than 18 psi. I was able to smoothly and briskly accelerate in the upper gears from as low as 1000 rpm. As the rpm and boost increased, so did the acceleration. Even with the extraordinarily high gearing, I was able to pull away from a stop with minimum effort and clutch work.

The response to the bikes was overwhelming, not only from the general attendance and the other competitors, but from the national and international media. I was interviewed by Speed Vision and there is an outside chance they will do a feature story on the motorcycles for Two Wheeled Tuesday.

I want to thank everyone for their best wishes and support over the past years and I will keep you informed as we move forward with the technology and our production contract with the Marine Corps.

Best regards,

Fred....

Incredible.

Anyone see the writeup on this fellow from Hesperia?

Fred is a Socal boy, and 3rd generation motorcycle innovator! :cry: :cry:

Hmmmm... :cry::lol::cry: :cry:

Maybe I should have called this "Alleged motorcycle enthusiasts

ignore history being made!"

or

"Girlyman Hummers". :cry: :cry:

MR. 2BB,

They have to use diesel because gas is to flamable to use and/or transport in their normal "work environment."

It is an amazing accomplishment.

2BB, send the URL or contact info. There is a demand in the UAV industry for small high-power diesel engines.

BTW I went for a 3 hour ride last weekend!!!

RH

I think that this diesel bike revolution is great. I only wish it could happen sooner. A friend of mine introduced me to F1 Engineering and I've been keeping up with it as close as I can. 2BB, the bike you rode...was it the military or civilian version? How close are we to getting these bikes made available to the general public, and at what cost?

Are you bringing the bikes to El Mirage this weekend? I'm flying in from Arizona just to watch, maybe we can grab a beer Saturday night.

Are you bringing the bikes to El Mirage this weekend? I'm flying in from Arizona just to watch, maybe we can grab a beer Saturday night.

Nearly 3 years old this post is.