Sign in to follow this  

BBR pipe install question

Just installed a new BBR pipe on my 03 150F. I removed the old brass O-ring and installed a new one. Proplem is that the only way the head pipe would fit into the end pipe causes the head pipe to fit a little bit off kilter where the very front flange of the head pipe meets the engine exhaust port(where the brass O-ring is). Is this common or should the flange fit perfectly? Also when I started it up after the install the head pipe get wicked hot. I know they do but, there was smoke. should I take it off and try a refit?

The head pipe should fit like the stock one did. There are a lot of aftermarket products that need to be "fine-tuned" during installation. If the head pipe does not fit squarely in the port, the gasket will probably fail after a short period. Try loosening everything up and see if you can get the head pipe to snug up correctly. You may need to add some spacers or washers in the other mounting locations to get the pipe to fit properly. Good luck !

my BBR pipe fit perfectly. Did you use HIGH-TEMP silicon on it like it said? Yes, the pipe does get very hot. If you dont allow the silicon to cure for 6 hours, it will smoke. And last, after all that, it does get hot. I burned a hole throw my pants and ended up with a 2nd degree burn on my leg. That kept me from riding for about 1-1/2 months.