Sign in to follow this  

Returning to a 2-stroke?!

I know this is blasphemy around these parts, but I am seriously considering going back to a 2 smoke if/when I get a new bike next season.

I have had my CRF450 for two seasons now and really like the bike, but have had some problems with it. Just your normal valves and other maintenance along with stalling it occassionally.

I've noticed lately that sometimes its just not as much fun to ride as a 2-stroke was in that it takes less effort to go fast and I can be lazy on it. When you think about it, those really arent bad things but I kind of miss the way you have to ride a 2-stroke to make it really go. Its more exhilirating and sometimes more of a rush.

Now before someone tells me that I just mustn't be riding my 450 right or hard enough, I beg to differ. I ride that thing really hard and have the results to prove it. :D

I'm considering getting an '05 KX250 from my local shop (and the one I used to work at) cuz I hear they are really good this year. Given they haven't been in any shootouts yet, but I hear good things about them. I sat on one tonight at the shop and the thing feels really good and it just got me thinking :awww:

So am I crazy? Has anyone else gone back to the dark side of mixing gas and top ends? :thumbsup::lol:

Give me your opinions on the matter! :devil:

Your not going for the new aluminum frame 05 yz250? That is supossed to be a sweet bike. :cry:

I'm already ahead of you. 01' WR426 to an 04' 300 EXC. I'll be back on a 4-stroke at some point but for now, I'm all :cry:.

I'm already ahead of you too (JK). I went from a 250f to a 125 and have happy with the choice. I have to ride aggressive non-stop on the 125 to go fast and when I get back on a 250f I remember how easy it was to ride. I know that my corner speed is getting better and I am definetely learning how to stay on the pipe every chance possible. I am an A enduro/offroad rider but I don't think anybody is beyond learning how to ride a 125 better. If I can keep the corner speed and aggression that I learned on the 125 when I move to a bigger bike (250 2s) then it will have really payed off. Maybe this will be the same case for you except you are going from 450 to 250.

01 WR426 to a 04 250EXC

It was easier to buy a light bike than to go on a diet. :cry:

I really love the 4-stroke in most situations, but this new bike changed the enjoyment factor. And it feels way better after 60 miles of a 80+ mile enduro. :cry:

Another convert here and I have two buddies that did the same this year.

520 EXC to 250 EXC smoker for me. Loving it! -Ed

I see that I am not the only one thinking that way! I'm really taking a hard look at the 250's as well. I really like my 500 but now that I'm starting to ride tracks again I want/need the latest technology I can get! In fact I'm even considering the 2005 YZ 125. I've never owned a 125 but just the fact that it is 100 lbs lighter than my 650 kinda gives me a chubby! :cry: Half the fun is shopping & evaluating...

I'm already ahead of you. 01' WR426 to an 04' 300 EXC. I'll be back on a 4-stroke at some point but for now, I'm all :cry:.

I think it's simply what you prefer to ride. Alot of these "switching back to 2stroke" posts seem like they are posted just to sort of "rub it in our faces". I don't get that? I've owned 2 and 4 stroke bikes and they both have advantages and disadvantages. It really just boils down to fun factor. I prefer the 4 stroke, you prefer the 2 stroke, who cares? Buy what makes you happy.

I have to say, I've spent some time on an '04 300 EXC and it completely blew my mind. That bike is quiet as hell but full of balls. Blows my 250f away! I would not be opposed to buying one.

Now, that said, the KTM, in my opinion, just doesn't feel as comfortable to ride as my Honda does. Again, just personal preference.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't go with the KX, I'd go with a CR250 or a YZ250. Again, personal preference, I just don't like the color green. :cry:

I think it's simply what you prefer to ride. Alot of these "switching back to 2stroke" posts seem like they are posted just to sort of "rub it in our faces". I don't get that? I've owned 2 and 4 stroke bikes and they both have advantages and disadvantages. It really just boils down to fun factor. I prefer the 4 stroke, you prefer the 2 stroke, who cares? Buy what makes you happy.

I have to say, I've spent some time on an '04 300 EXC and it completely blew my mind. That bike is quiet as hell but full of balls. Blows my 250f away! I would not be opposed to buying one.

Now, that said, the KTM, in my opinion, just doesn't feel as comfortable to ride as my Honda does. Again, just personal preference.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't go with the KX, I'd go with a CR250 or a YZ250. Again, personal preference, I just don't like the color green. :cry:

Riding a 2 stroke makes you feel like a kid again.. :cry:

both the kx and yz had major redesigns this year and the rm had a big redesign last year. It will be a couple months before the 'shootouts' are done in the magazines.

I really dont think it matters though theyre all pretty good.

Alot of these "switching back to 2stroke" posts seem like they are posted just to sort of "rub it in our faces".

Sorry if my post makes you feel that way, it's not what I intended. I'm a small guy at 5'7" and 165 lbs. I've ridden my dad's CRF250X and an 04' WR250F and neither bike has enough power for my riding style at this altitude. I could stand to lose 10 lbs. which I'm working on plus the 40 lbs. I lost by going to this bike would make a grand total of 50 less lbs. to carry for a day. I agree that the KTM is not quite as comfortable as the WR, even with a softer seat.

This is probably my LAST 2-stroke and I wanted one more before the ban. I don't like mixing gas but 6 gallons at a time isn't that difficult and the bike is super quiet and plenty fast. You do give up the smooth road riding ability and top speed is lower.

Overall, I like the hp of the 450's better than the 2-stroke. Much smoother and way wider than the 2-stroke. If the Enduro 450, 4-strokes don't get a lot lighter in the very near future, a CRF450R with a Rekluse will be my next ride. :cry:

I thought the Man Plan was "One of Everything..." I keep telling my wife i need a:

2 stroke, 4 stroke, sport quad, 4x4 quad, cruiser, dual sport, sport bike, chopper...fishing boat, ski boat, cabin cruiser, party barge, jet ski, wave runner...truck, jeep, boxter, S600 v12...house, cabin, and beach house

I say have both...that way you can take the Smoker to the track and ring the snot out of it...then take the big bore tractor out on the gnarliest trails you can find and you'll remember how easy that bike is to ride.

I thought the Man Plan was "One of Everything..."

I don't know about Man Plan, I am trying to use the " Keep Two Motorcycles" theory. I would love to keep Big Blue. :cry:

In fact I'm even considering the 2005 YZ 125. I've never owned a 125 but just the fact that it is 100 lbs lighter than my 650 kinda gives me a chubby!

I hear you on that one. I would love to get a ride on the new YZ125 and the 250. Light is right! -Ed

I know this is blasphemy around these parts, but I am seriously considering going back to a 2 smoke if/when I get a new bike next season.

I have had my CRF450 for two seasons now and really like the bike, but have had some problems with it. Just your normal valves and other maintenance along with stalling it occassionally.

I've noticed lately that sometimes its just not as much fun to ride as a 2-stroke was in that it takes less effort to go fast and I can be lazy on it. When you think about it, those really arent bad things but I kind of miss the way you have to ride a 2-stroke to make it really go. Its more exhilirating and sometimes more of a rush.

Now before someone tells me that I just mustn't be riding my 450 right or hard enough, I beg to differ. I ride that thing really hard and have the results to prove it. :cry:

I'm considering getting an '05 KX250 from my local shop (and the one I used to work at) cuz I hear they are really good this year. Given they haven't been in any shootouts yet, but I hear good things about them. I sat on one tonight at the shop and the thing feels really good and it just got me thinking :cry:

So am I crazy? Has anyone else gone back to the dark side of mixing gas and top ends? :cry: :cry:

Give me your opinions on the matter! :cry:

Tried a 250F?

Tried a 250F?

I have ridden one numerous times, but I'm a little bit of a bigger guy at 215 pounds so it doesnt have all the power I need.

I know the 250 2-stroke would be going down on power as well but I think I know how to ride those they way there are supposed to be ridden and can get the power I need.

And for all of you who questioned my choice of the KX250, I have my reasons for this bike. One is that the shop I used to work at (actually both shops I used to work at :cry:) is a Kawi dealer so I could get a great deal on one and the fact that I sat on one yesterday and the thing felt awesome being a little taller than most bikes. Also I hear they are supposed to be good this year.

Honestly, anymore I think all the bikes are awesome and just comes down to a matter of preference when picking a bike. :cry:

Yep, what ever floats your boat. I have owned 2 strokes while growing up and got my first 4-stroke (DR350SE) in 2000. I absolutely loved the ease of maintenance and smooth power. Looking for more power I got an XR650R (dual sported) just a couple of weeks back. I considered getting the KX500 since this is the last year, as well as the CRF450. The KX500 probably wouldn't have been as friendly on the road, and I have ridded the latest 450s. Something about eh XR650R got me addicted! The power is all over the place from bottom to top and it is a blast! Bike is huge which could be intimdating to some but it makes you grin the whole time you are riding. I still wouldn't mind eventually getting a used 250 2 stroke to play on in the future though. 2 strokes are fun, no doubt about it.

If u get a new stroke..I would get the cr or the yz The cr is a little bit weaker then the yz but...its always fun to hop up a smoker and then go ride it. :cry:

I agree with the buy both theory, If I can save up enough i'm planning on getting one of these rumored 150cc high performance thumpers to compete with the 85 smokers