Sign in to follow this  

anyone go from yz250f to crf 450? or ride both

I've ridden an '02 CRF450 and an '04 briefly. They are pretty amazing bikes. TONS of power on tap right when you need it.

Unfortunately, it's also there when you don't need it, like when you're trying to goose your bike around a tight corner with trees threatening both your bar ends. Or when you are delicately tracking up a steep hill trying not to loop out.

Now do you ride more MX or woods? On a motocross track I would prefer to have the 450, since I weigh around 200. However, in tight woods environments I much prefer my 250F. I can pretty much keep up with the 450s in a drag race down a fire road but in order to do so I have to rev the heck out of my little thumper, and we all know how short our engine life can be if we do that continuously.

So in short, I'm just as confused as you. If I could have a 450 with a "tame" switch that I could click on in the tight stuff then I'd probably go for it. But for now I'm happy.

Pretty much the same news, I too love my 250F but switch with my buddies CRF450. On the tight trails it is too easy to loop out or get crossed up. But on the flats its a ton of fun. Gearing can be played with to change this but you then lose the other way. If I were rich, I'd have one of each. The 450 for the tracks and hills and a 250F for the woods riding. 160lb, 5'8"

I went from a an '03 YZ250F to an '05 CRF250R. I just got it the other day. I got sick of waiting for the CR450F and didn't really nee it anyway. I rode an brand new '04 CR450F and like it on the straight but had to fight it in the turns, so it was not right for me. Maybe I just suck!! The 250F is the way to go for just having fun and throwing the bike around.

I just sold my 02 crf450 and got the 04 yz250f. Both are excellent bikes. The 450 was a lot of fun especially in areas with wide open riding. But I've only been riding for a year and the 450 was just too much bike for me in challenging terrain or tracks with a lot of rhythm sections that required good throttle control.

I've only done a few laps on the 250f but I've notice that I'll have to learn to shift better on this bike. With the 450 I could just leave it in 3rd and pull around the track. For some reason I can't jump the 250f either, front wheel high every time and I broke my collar bone :cry: Seat height is quite a bit taller on the 250f than my 450.

Both are great bikes. Once I figure out how to jump the 250f I think it will be a better bike for me; I'll be able to corner better and I'll have better throttle control.