Sign in to follow this  

How much is enough on a helmet.

What seperates a $200 helmet from a $400 helmet? I have seen expensive helmets on clearence for pretty cheap. This made me wonder, is a $400 helmet on sale for $200 better than the $200 for $200. For instances this black bell goes for $185 here or this $400 for $200 here

So will the cheap $400 give me better service than the $200 ? :thumbsup:

well i dont use bell so i cant tell you how good they are but i do use Arai helmets there one of the best helmets out there prop the best, the helmet fits awesome and its made strong. if your going to spend good money on a helmet i would get Arai. :thumbsup:

I am pretty loyal here, partly because I have crashed and had a cheaper helmet crack almost off my head, BUT,,

The HJC is my vote for the best.

Good price, very lightwieght, very durable, good looking,

Just try one on at a local shop and then you will agree.

I have a ACX-1 about 7 yrs old and just got an ACX-2 Chromium. The chromium I would not recommend.

I got mine at moto-x-outlet. GOOD PRICE.

If the helmets all have the DOT/Snell rating then the difference is features and convenience. Some cheaper helmets don't have removable liners(this makes cleaning much easier). Some also don't have as good venting ETC. Once you get past a certain level of quality then it mostly a matter of which fits your head the best. Try it on and get the one that feels the best.

Russ

Once you get past a certain level of quality then it mostly a matter of which fits your head the best.

:cry:

And that is the majority of helmet failures. Not the quality of the helmet itself, but the fit around the owner.

Pay whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Those of us who have crashed (esp. on pavement) know the difference between the cheap stuff and the stuff that leaves you walking away from a major accident.

I currently wear a Shoei Z-II. Right out of the box it fit as if I had worn it for years. Sure it was $$$, but I can live with that.

Pay whatever you want. Its your head!

Try on several, I think fit is the most important aspect when buying a helmet, an expensive helmet that doesnt fit your head isnt going to protect you better than a cheaper good fitting helmet. All helmets seem to fit just a little differently from the next.

I just bought a new HJC ACX-2, mostly because it fits my head really good and I could get it in just plain white.

If it meets DOT & Snell that's what you want.

Pay extra for:

Light weight shell materials used

Removable liners that snap or velcro in

Ventilation holes/vents/louvers

Fancy graphics

New for 2005 helmets $$$

I think all the helmets have the same styrofoam inside. It's that styrofoam that saves your head... I don't see any ads about "new improved" styrofoam.... :cry:

Well if the $400 isnt any safer than the that $200 then I think to $200 is the one I will buy, if it fits. My last bell fit pretty well but I will have to find one to try one.

I don't know why people always want removable liners. About once every two months or so, I just take the whole helmet in the shower with me and use shampoo to clean it all up then let it air dry. Removable liner or not.

Thanks for the suggestion. mine smells like a cat pissed in it.

I don't know why people always want removable liners. About once every two months or so, I just take the whole helmet in the shower with me and use shampoo to clean it all up then let it air dry. Removable liner or not.

I'm of the same opinion as MrGadget and others. The construction of the shell and shock obsorbing material [styrofoam] is pretty much the same, within reason. Obviously carbon fiber, fiberglass, kevlar and other shell materials are available. These will affect price but I believe these materials run in similar price categories.

The feature rich helmet will perhaps clean easier, cool better and maybe even look "cooler". But the safety of the helmet should be the first concern. DOT/SNELL ratings should be the first criteria. Then personal preference thereafter. :cry:

I've heard people say "if you have a $10 head then wear a $10 helmet"... However I believe there is a point where the safety factor levels off [again refer to DOT and SNELL ratings]. of course... just my opinion.

By the way... I own all HJC helmets. however... that matte finish Bell may just find it's way into my gear bag soon. :cry:

Make sure you spend at least $100 on a lid....anythig less and you are compramsing your own safety....anythhing over $250 and you are paying for cool paint, label, and maby a lil added comfort.