Sign in to follow this  

Easy Colorado Riding Opinions

Hey guys, I'm coming out to Colorado to ride (from Kansas) in 2 weeks with a beginning rider on a CRF230F. With input from a few of you and alot of searching ramz's site, I've narrowed it down to Texas Creek, Fourmile Area, Rainbow Trail, or Sargents South. I need help picking 2 of the 4. I'll have 2 full days of riding. I originally was interested in Taylor Park, but now am getting concerned about trail difficulty there. Anyway, my maps are coming, but I wanted to know if any more of you had input on my trip considering time of year (weather) and the fact that I need EASY but scenic trails. Thanks again for any input - this site is awesome! :cry:

Rainbow trail is not an easy trail for a beginner on a bike, some parts are quite technical and rocky. Texas creek would be a good choice, with some caveats. A majority of the stuff there is open roads, sand washes, but there is one ATV trail in the front section that has switchbacks, I wouldn't take a beginner on it from either direction. Also, the singletrack section in the back isn't for beginners either. If you stick mainly to the roads, you should be fine.

The other two places you listed I'm not familiar with enough to say.

Try The Flat Tops. It is on top of the mountain above Glenwood Springs. Elevation is from 9K to 11K. There are numerous camping spots. The riding is easy, and there are great views.

Hartman Rocks area is fun, but was not that hard

from what I remember.

It is near Gunnison. (I think)

For pure single track I would recomend the Rainbow trail for entry level folks. It gets a fair share of grooming and maintenance.

Apparently we have differing views on Rainbow Trail. Perhaps the northern part from Salida is singletrack and groomed(aren't those two mutually exclusive?), I haven't ridden that stretch for a long while. Anything south of the Hillside road, however; is not singletrack, and is very rocky in spots. Granted, there are cleared, easy & fun stretches, but they're in between the tougher stretches.

IMO Texas Creek is an excellent testing grounds for your beginner company. You can progress to more difficult areas throughout the day and see if he is ready for Rainbow Trail. Rainbow Trail is only 20 minutes from TC and offers great riding with fantastic mountain scenery. The major complaint I get from first timers is that the cobble areas can be a challenge. Be ready to encounter snow. Riding on cobble in 4 inches of snow was a whole new experience for me last September!

If you are riding during the week, I'd just go to Rampart. There's plenty there for 2 days.

Realitively close to the Rampart/Woodland Park riding area (i.e. 20 miles west) is an area called Badger Flats. It is west of Woodland Park on Hwy 24 just on the east side of Wilkerson Pass. Go north of of HWY 24 on FR 222. Lots of two track, LaSalle Pass, etc. Really nice place to ride for newbies and kids.

Then there's also the narrow side-hill singletrack every now and then at Rainbow that a beginner could get into trouble on in a hurry. No room for error type stuff. If you do Rampart, go mid-week. There's a trail that stays next to the road it's entire length and is pretty easy. The trails are well marked as far as difficulty. And there is a map available of the system.

Thanks guys - that's the kind of info i'm after! I'm a little concerned about Rampart because i've read so many people unhappy with it (and/or other riders there). I'll check out the Badger Flats and Rainbow Trails though.

I rode in Rampart about 5 years ago...it was great (over the Laborday weekend) I am planning on going there again this Oct 7th...what have you heard about this place that was negitive? We are driving from Dallas so if it now sucks

I do not want to find out after 12 hrs of driving. thanks

It's not so much that it sucks as it's not what it use to be. The trails now are very wide and high speed, with lots of whoops in the main trails. The area is still nice but just not as nice as it once was. Lots of people enjoy it still.

well, now I'm starting to get concerned about the weather as much as anything! halfway thinking about going on to moab - or at least somewhere a little warmer. but i'll wait till it gets a little closer to the 1st before i make any drastic change of plans. i've narrowed it down to woodland park, texas creek, and maybe rampart. where do you colorado guys go to ride when it gets too cold to ride up there? (i'm from kansas city, btw)

I start hauling my happy a$$ up to Rabbit Ears Pass and ride my sled. Or else, cruise down to Pueblo and ride the open areas there on my bike.

where do you colorado guys go to ride when it gets too cold to ride up there? (i'm from kansas city, btw)

I had an inch of snow at my place in Black Forest last night. It's supposed to be in the 70's by the end of the week. Don't sweat the weather until the last minute. I've seen it go from 85 to 25 in 3 hours. Yea, really! Unless we get another cold front, you'll be fine riding Woodland and/or Rampart on 10/1.

As for your latter question, I ride lots of MX during the winter. I crash too much in the snow. :cry: Planning on a couple trips to Moab and SRS this winter though...

Merf

I ride most of the year in Grand Junction, co.

You can find every type of terrain there.

Ride behind the Airport and you can ride all day and not travel on the same trail, if you want. It has an area of 17 sq miles of cross country riding, and a hole lot more.