Guys, convince me to continue to wait for the 450 instead of a 250

Deep down, I really want to be convinced to wait for the '05 CRF450R. I have money down on the first one at my dealer. I know they had some '05 CRF250R's on the floor a couple weeks ago, and I was asked if I would be interested in one of those instead. It is very tempting...cheaper, available now (its getting late in the riding season), and might actually be a better choice for a rider with limited dirt bike experience. But, I am 27,and on the upper end of the weight scale (190# w/ gear). I have a lot of race quad experience and have never felt like I had too much power. I have ridden my buddy's '04 KTM 450SX and in all honesty, it didn't feel overwhelmingly powerful, like I expected. Fast, yes, but not something that scared me at all. I really think I will be happier on a 450, but I know I could probably be as fast on a 250 for the first year or so, until I get my bearings. I just don't want to get a bike (250) and a year later, wish I had gotten a faster one (450). Make sense? Ya know, this wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for all those guys on the CRF250 forum saying how they switched to a 250 from a 450 and are so much happier!? And, no, I don't know anyone well enough at the track to borrow a 250 to try out. I know deep down I will hold out for the 450, I just need you guys to reassure me I am making the right decision!? ?

I've seen a lot of "bigger" guys than you on the CRF250s and they seem to love 'em. In all honesty, I'd like/love to try one, but if I liked it, there ain't pud'n I could do about it (read: my wife would kill me). So I'll stick with 450.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Hmmm...not what I wanted to hear. Probably 75% MX, and the rest open riding and woods. TJ, how much do you way? Type of riding?

I'm a light guy, 150# but know guys your weight that love the 250. I ride both moto tracks and woods but more woods (probably 60% woods) than anything. The 250 works great in the woods too, but I don't want the 450 to feel neglected.

If I had to have one bike it would be the 250.

There's no right answer here, it all depends on what you like. I've had both, and it's still a tough decision every time I need a new bike (like now). I ride a friends 04 CRF250 all the time, and I still can't decide.

Your speed on an MX track will likely be the same on either one once you get used to it. I know that even at my weight (200), I'm probably better off on a 250 because I can ride it longer without getting tired, but it just doesn't put the smile on my face like the 450 does right now. I guess I'm just a hp addict at heart. The testosterone factor is also way higher on teh 450. ?

Let me add this...

Was out at the track last week talking to a buddy I see out there quite a bit. He's telling me of his buddy that rides a CRF250 and loves it. A few motos laters, I'm in the parking lot and he (my buddy) is talking a guy that's well over 200lbs - probably 230 or more. I over hear the guy saying that he's tripling a section of whoops on the track, etc. I'm listening and thinking only the real fast/real ballsy guys do that... ?

A few minutes later the guys rolls away on a Honda - I can't really tell the difference between the 250 and 450. My buddy comes up and says "yeah... that's my buddy with the CRF250 that just loves it....

If he can triple in and out of that whoop section at his size, I don't think I'd have any problem liking the 250.

Thanks guys, for the insight. By the way, TJ, I love the garage! Similar to mine, but WAY cleaner! I honestly agree with you shifter125, I would probaby be happy with either. I can see advantages with both. This is gonna be tough...I guess I really need to find someone with a 250 to test out, before the 450's come in.

One other thing: The big difference for me is how the bikes rev out each gear. At my weight on a 250F, second gear always seems too low coming out of corners and hitting jumps, and 3rd is always too high and requires lots of clutch. I know that the 250s rev really high, even higher than a 125, but they just don't pull up there like I need at my weight. On my 250, I was always either reving the guts out of it in second to clear a big jump (and the motor would go flat right when I needed it most), or running through the corner in 2nd and then shifting to 3rd on a jump approach (not the safest move). It's not that I couldn't ride the bike and track like that, I just found it annoying. Not a problem, just a trait that I didn't like. I moved to the 450 and forgot about it until now... ? :cry:

Wait for the 450, you're a bigger dude. My friend is like 22 and weighs around 220 lbs and he rides this kids yz250F sometimes and me makes the thing look small and is way to big for the suspension. The 450 has alot of torque and should be enough to get you over any leap. Btw, your garage is sick ? I wish my garage was like yours ?

If you are going to be a bear be a grizzly. Yeah the 250 is fast but is that what you really want? From your post it sounds as if you are just getting impatient. Don't sell yourself short. Honestly it's not the size or model, it is what you want. You said " I know deep down".

For what it is worth I'm waiting for one too. I myself have thought about other bikes too but I keep thinking down the road about a month and whether or not I will be happy with another bike then. For me the answer is no. You get one shot in life, so just be honest with yourself and you can't go wrong. ? :cry:

P.S. Honda, HURRY UP! ?

Jimbo, i actually weigh more than you (230 ?) and have had an absolute blast on a crf250, but when I thought about what I wanted from the bike I decided to wait it out for my 450. I was already chasing the 450's in the vet class (on my 250 ringding) didn't wanna bring a knife to a gunfight ?

Jimbo, I am in the same boat as you waiting for a 450. I sold my YZ250f 2003 last month because I thought the 450s would be here by now. I am 32 weigh 190 as well. I have been riding a couple years. I have ridden both on several differnt occasions and I recommend waiting for the 450. 250 might be cheaper but I found that I dumped more than the difference into my 250 to try and get a few extra ponies out of it. Stick to the 450. It shouldnt be long now I hope...

Jimbo... put your testosterone in your back pocket and think about this. I see SOOOO many guys at the track that just HAVE to have the biggest, baddest dog on the track. Then they ride around at the speed of a novice on a 125. Here's the thing... a rider with less experience would probably turn better laps and have more fun on the 250F. Even though the 450 will yank your arms out of their sockets if you yank the throttle open, it makes it more of a handful to corner cleanly, and the difference in real world accelleration down a long straight is maybe a half a bike length. (I ride the 40+ class, and can still pull the holeshot against the big bores on my stock 250F)

It takes more than nerve to ride a 450 fast. And if you're not an experienced rider, the extra horsepower of the big dog will just be a waste. You might just have more fun on a bike that still has a lot of accelleration, that you can really throw into corners and man-handle over jumps.

You might not be a little guy, but the 250Fs will haul you around just fine...

That's just my take on it...

~Tex

RMZ-1v

For me the bottom line in comparing the 250 and the 450 isn't about power, it's about the handling. I race a 450 just about every weekend and I have a buddy who has a 250f. I love the way the 250 corners!! It is so easy to ride and go fast on with a minimum of energy. The 450 is also a fun bike, but it's all about the motor. The only place I feel like the 450 is at an advantage is on big tracks with hills. If you are riding on smaller tracks with lots of jumps, I would go with the 250. I am hoping and praying that the new 05 frame will have the same kind of handling characteristics, because if it doesn't, I'll sell it and get a 250 (and hope I don't blow the engine).

We care if you got hurt riding your bike, got your bike stolen, got shafted by the dealers, etc.

We don't care what bike you buy. It's your money.

Deep down, I really want to be convinced to wait for the '05 CRF450R. I have money down on the first one at my dealer. I know they had some '05 CRF250R's on the floor a couple weeks ago, and I was asked if I would be interested in one of those instead. It is very tempting...cheaper, available now (its getting late in the riding season), and might actually be a better choice for a rider with limited dirt bike experience. But, I am 27,and on the upper end of the weight scale (190# w/ gear). I have a lot of race quad experience and have never felt like I had too much power. I have ridden my buddy's '04 KTM 450SX and in all honesty, it didn't feel overwhelmingly powerful, like I expected. Fast, yes, but not something that scared me at all. I really think I will be happier on a 450, but I know I could probably be as fast on a 250 for the first year or so, until I get my bearings. I just don't want to get a bike (250) and a year later, wish I had gotten a faster one (450). Make sense? Ya know, this wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for all those guys on the CRF250 forum saying how they switched to a 250 from a 450 and are so much happier!? And, no, I don't know anyone well enough at the track to borrow a 250 to try out. I know deep down I will hold out for the 450, I just need you guys to reassure me I am making the right decision!? ?