Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Top Speed? Hmmmm......

Hi All,

Here's a subject to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I'm sure we have all heard the guy down the pub/meet/trail bragging that his bike has done 135mph last week etc. :cry:

Well! What's the general opinion then?

My two penneth is as follows:

Gezzer down the pub has fitted SM wheels and not re-calibrated his speedo hence the reading he saw was...

135*0.8 = 108mph approx.

Reasoning is, I'm getting 102 outa my "S" on the GPS but cannot get any more. This and the fact that a CBR400RR I had doing a true 60bhp could only just get to 135 with it's fairing aiding the aerodynamics. :cry:

Next......... :cry:

In theory...it can be done. We are talking all out bonneville dirt bike here. Gear it real high and put in a power adder...such as NOS or turbo.

Absolute top speed is a measurement of horsepower. Gearing helps, but you got make the power to pull the gear.

to ask what the top speed on a DRZ bike is really a loose question there are lots of variable factors to consider but the main one i guess is the gearing on the S model it is geared higher then the E therefore top speed is going to be higher i have had a ton out of my stock drz ie deathwings stock carb and exhaust etc etc now if you ask what is the top speed of a modified DRZ well you can take your pick, depends on what mods have been done will depend on what the top speed is so i guess a more acurate question is how long is a peice of string?? :cry: :cry:

i've had my 03 DRZ up to 90 once on the free way....

I thought I was going to [@#$%&*!] my pants it was so scary...

I get alot of headshake after 60MPH with my Dunlop D606's on it...

I seriously doubt 108. I have an some mods on my bike and going down hill I hit an INDICATED 103. probably somewhere around 93-95. Small possibility though.

The fastest I have hit according to my speedometer is 105, and according to the gps unit on my bike, I am actually going 6 mph slower than the speedometer indicates at all times, other than extreme low speed. This speed was achieved going balls out on I-75 at a slight decline which helped to say the least. I can hit 90'ish fairly quick on the DRZ but once I am about 94-95mph, it only moves up in digits by one real slow. I, like alot of you guys have at some point in my life been addicted to the thrill of speed, but I tell you what, there isn't much in life that scares me but going at excessive speed on the DRZ is right up there on top of the list. :cry:

I'm not sure how to find the article but a few months ago, Dirt Bike magazine had a top speed shootout on dirtbikes at El Mirage dry lake bed. This included a KTM 525, Honda XR650, KX 500 and a few others. They geared the bikes to the moon, stripped off all non essentials, (plastics, even front brakes!) I think it was a close race between the KTM and the Honda with the Honda topping out at 128 mph! :cry:

I have hit 94mph on my E blasting down a dirt/sand road heading up to Mount Laguna in baja. GPR set on 6 and wide open. Don't think the bike had much more left in it.

My cousin was next to me on his xr650 with a trailtech computer. Thats how I know the speed.

It is very interesting flying accross the desert at that speed.

It's was past scary and into a quiet calm place.

Don't think I would want to go any faster than that off road.