Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke vs 2 stroke!!

Ok, I know this is a thumper website. But seriously, go 4 stroke or stay with my 250? I have been riding two stroke my whole life and am getting a little older and thinking about going to the CR450F. I'm a bigger guy (6-2 220lbs) so what do the experts say. Insight needed before I go to the dealer and make my decision on a new bike. :cry:

I'm 6'3" 245...had an 01' YZ250 switched to the CRF450R and couldn;t believe the difference in everything..power, ease of riding, less work in gerneral and it made me much faster. Go ride one and your dilemma will be solved!!! You will need to get the suspension revalved and some heavier springs put on.

Mx,

I'm every bit as enthusiatic as MJ is. The biggest thing to me is that I have always liked open class power. With my 450, I get it, yet it doesn't beat me up. Try doing a tight Hare Scramble on a cr 500 and you'll get what I mean.

Just to be fair, if you have a rev it till it bleeds riding style, a 250 2 stroke is more your style. You do have to modify your riding style some. I went 4 banger is 2000, after 28 years on 2 stokes,on 250s and 500s, and I'm still leaning things about riding 4 strokes correctly. To me that's part of the fun, like starting racing all over.

The idea of having to ride a two stroke / two smoke is horrible. I can't believe what I found when I bought this crf450. My friend I ride with most has a 250. I decided after many rides on the 450 to try out the 250 again. HATED IT. I just don't think I would ever go back. The four stroke is the way of the future.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to investigate the whole suspension thing, I've always riden with what the bike came with and just let my body take the abuse.

I know exactly what you mean dude. Thats why I have stayed with the 250's for so long. I think I'm leaning towards having more power vs rev (yes I am a rev junkie, aren't we all??). Unfortunately, I'm in Iraq right now and won't be home in a while to try my buddies new 450. Thanks for the input.

You gotta give the 4-stroke a try, it's a totally different experience. Just look at the tracks these days, you don't see many people making the switch back to a 250. For the average guy, the 450 is both easier to ride and faster.

Ok, you clearly have a bias towards two strokes. Thats ok, but let me tell you that I've whooped plenty of guys riding the bigger thumpers many times. My only hesitation about going to the 450 is my buddy traded his 2000 CR250 in for a new 450 in 2003 and decided to go back to his 250. I guess I will just have to try it to find out. Thanks.

...let me tell you that I've whooped plenty of guys riding the bigger thumpers many times.

:cry: :cry: MX is still 90% rider, that's for sure. You may not even like a 4-stroke, but if you've got the opportunity to try one you should go for it. 90% of the riders that try it don't go back.

I still enjoy riding a 2-stroke on a well groomed track, but not enough to make one my full-time ride. I spent an hour on a CR250 last weekend on a muddy track, then jumped back on the 450 and couldn't believe how much more stable and hooked up the 4-stroke was.

ok tri, you got me. this is why i signed up to this site so i could get some good feedback. You make a good point about hooking up. most of the tracks i ride on aren't what you would call glenn helen or washougal. from what you guys have told me, sounds like i need to try this 450 thing.

MX,

As far as suspension goes, I've found 4 stroke spring rates and settings more suitable to my weight then 2 strokes. They have to set them up stiffer due to the weight and power characteristics. I rode my 02 450 with stock springs for a year. I only went stiffer when the stockers had sacked out anyway. I always had to respring my 2 strokes immediately after breakin.

I went from a 125 to a crf 450 and i love the change, the only thin i didnt care for that much was the weight of the bike change cause i was able to throw around the 125 easily and if i do this on my 450 i loose it easier. but going from 2 to 4 is a awesome change

Im light and ride a 450. 6'0" and only 145lbs and love my CRF450 after coming off my CR250. WOuldnt ever switch back to a two stroke.

you will be amazed and converted on your first 15 minute ride of any "new" 4-stroke.

in 1998, i said i'd never own a 4 stroke let alone race one. in 2001, i rode a yzf250 and the rest is history. i only own 4 strokes now.

in 2005, i am looking to get a cr250r. i miss the drama and lightness of riding 2 strokes.

will i ever sell my 4 strokes? never!!!!

current 4 strokes -- 01yzf250, 02crf450, 96xr80, 04crf250, 01XL1200C, 02FXSTD.... and soon 05crf450 and cr250. :cry:

OK how bout a 2 smoker's thoughts on a 4 stroke! I recently rode the CRF450 for about 20 minutes. I ride an 03 YZ250. AT first I was in love with the 450 power. Very easy to ride. It has great 4 stroke traction. i.e. Doesn't slide out as much. It hooked up in every flat corner. Flat corners are easy on this bike. Didn't notice any more traction in bermed corners. The suspension wasn't any better that I noticed. Didn't care for the midstroke harshness but it wasn't bad at all.

Now the downside...I stopped to tell my buddy my first impressions. I then spent 15 minutes trying to kickstart the thing on the side of the track. I used all the proper technique. It wouldn't start. So my buddy comes over and spends 2-3 min kicking it til it finally starts up. Funny thing is, he tells me he gives it a blip of the throttle to get it started. So much for what I was taught. So I get back on my YZ and its starts first kick. I then notice the huge weight difference (or feeling). My bike is flickable while the 450 just powers thru everything. I got really lazy on the 450. Granted I liked it very much and I would love to own one but I don't think they're the all conquering bike just yet. There are disadvantages to both. For me personally, the 450 has more disadvantages than the 2 stroke.

Not meant to be a my bike is better than yours post so please don't take it that way...

I don't know what's going on here. To many crazy posts. I personally like 4 strokes and hate 2 stokes. To everyone there own. That's why both are still available. If you love 2 stokes ride them, but be prepared to be passed :cry: