Sign in to follow this  

DMV Certificate of Origin issue or not

Hi Guys,

I'm about to pick up a used 04 CRF450R. The guy never registered it in California since he doesn't ride on state land but private tracks only. When I buy the bike and try to register the bike, do I have to pay for the "original" sale price or the price that I'm buying it for?

The guy is selling it to me for $4500.

I can't wait for you guys so I called the DMV.

Whew! I only have to pay for the amount I paid for the bike.

Westladog, Just a reminder....I hope you have a USA bike and not one from Canada. DMV may or may not give you a title if it is from the North. Good Luck. JP :cry: :cry: :cry:

should not matter anymore according to the rangers...they indicated that the dmv was recently instructed, due to the large numbers of canadian bikes, to issue red stickers if they were from canada. before, the dmv would not since the bike vins were indicating that they were green sticker bikes, but without the obligatory EPA sticker of compliance.

Of course, this was a single ranger talking to me as he was telling me that my 03 canadian bike needed to have the green sticker replaced with a red one and that the DMV would infact issue one to me this time around.

-MW

bikes from canada are a beyatch to register in california...ive got 2 buddies with bikes on a temp registration that expires this year...

Saving a few hundred by buying a canada bike isnt worth it.

Also...if there is contingency offered at any races you enter...they check your vin and if its a canadian bike...your contingency is worthless unless you buy a US bike.