Sign in to follow this  

Speed "weave"

My 04 DRZ-S weaves and wobbles pretty badly on the road at 70 mph (indicated) or more. It's better if I sit farther back and worse if I sit towards the tank. It's worse in the turbulence behind a car and in high headwinds making me think it's aerodynamic.

Tyres are still the stock Deathwings and I haven't touched the suspension or changed anything that would alter the weight distribution.

Any ideas what's up?

Cheers

Ian

Ahhh...head shake. What is your weight?

I am 6'2 and weigh 250 pounds. I had absolutely no head shake with the stock balanced trail wings.

If you are lighter or shorter, the weight bias might be a little too far forward. I am just taking a stab...but if you set your sag for your weight correctly...I think it will pretty much clear up that head shake.

You might need a wheel balance. Also check that the front wheel is in the forks straight. You should also check your front tire for any deformities. Check the front wheel for truness (real word?) and equal spoke tension.

i'd bleed the air out of your forks, make sure the clicker settings are the same on both legs, and make sure the axle was installed using the correct procedure.

do your roads have rain grooves in them? that will cause a wobble but it's nothign to worry about.

a steering damper can help. it doesn't make it totally go away, but it makes -big- moments seem not so bad and it helps prevent a build up effect of the wobble. i have the scotts damper on mine and when i am on the freeway i crank it down to a pretty stiff setting and it makes it much more user friendly.

i think overall you're right it is mostly just aerodynamics, but there may be suspension adjustments that can help. but i'm no expert so i won't guess on any recommendations.

cheers

droo

Thanks for the list of things to check. The bike is only two weeks old and is as delivered - I haven't had the wheels, tyres or anything off the bike - just fitted rad guards and a bash plate. The wheels are coming off next week to get MT21s fitted. I'll get them done by a fitter and ask them to check balances before and after.

The forks could need bleeding - I've been along a few trails but the stand I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I can't lift the front yet.

I think a suspension setup is due, too. I weigh 154lbs and I'm 6'0" so might even be a bit light for the stock springs.

Cheers

Ian

On all my off-road bike I had , if you hang up too much on the handle bar at high speed you'll get that.

Try to barely hang on to it, still full throttle. Mine barely does anything then.. if I hang tight to the bar, it'll do that...

Tires seem to have an effect too.

The deathwings and D606 front I had the effect more often.

With MT21 tires it hardly occours.

I weigh 154lbs and I'm 6'0" so might even be a bit light for the stock springs.

You need to set the race sag, the stock setup is for 180lbs, so the back of the bike could be too high and this would affect your steering angle. Once you set the race sag, then check the static sag, if it is too much then you will need to go with a lighter spring.

Ive been riding my 2000 and a 2004. The weave is aerodynamic. it is a 300 pound, un-faired motorcycle with a 21 inch front rim and big air scoop front fender. That is also why the weave gets worse behind a car. Youve exited the smooth airflow and entered into the turbulence behind the car. :cry:

I had the same problem on my brand new bike. I checked the drive chain adjusters and found that when the dealer did the delivery service on it they had one side on 4 and the other was 4.5. Just something to check.

im 155 5'11 i get headshake too at about 60mph but the strange thing is for me im better off sitting on the tank and it didn't start untill i put a knobby on the front.

Before you go too far, and just for the hell of it, take off the front fender and ride it down the road....took mine off as an experiment...no shakin' at all all the way to 99mph indicated. :cry: