Sign in to follow this  

05 525 EXC Ride Report

We'll guys, I've had my '05 525 EXC for almost 2 weeks now, and boy does it look nice in the garage. Bad thing is, that is the only place it has been. :cry: I now get to wait for my dealer and a KTM rep to talk back and forth to see if they will replace the stupid spring for me. Why on earth would KTM make a stock spring only hold a max weight of about 150 lbs? How many guys that are 150 could actually use that big of a bike?

We'll, I guess I'm going to have some time on my hands for awhile....

Just had to vent a little....

What spring? Are you talking kick stand spring? If so you should never try to stand on the bike on the kickstand, I've seen them sheer off all the time.

If you are talking suspension, I am way over 150 and put 500 miles on my 525 EXC before getting the suspension done. Don't trying jumping it, but you can cruise trails at pretty good peeds stock.

Also all bike are setup for 170-180 pound riders cause the manufacters are setting them up for the average magazine tester, not the average bike buyer. They want to get better reviews so they can hype them more.

Have fun with the bike,

I'm talking rear suspesion here. As per the manual, there is an 84-250 which is supposed to have a max weight of 170. The one that is on my 525 is a 80-250 (OFF THE CHART LOW!) which, I assume, is supposed to take a max of 140 max. I'm a bigger guy, about 230 w/o gear. The mechanic from my dealer said I shouldn't ride it because I could cause damage to the spring...

I'm 6'2" and 240 and I rode my 2004 alot. If your getting a new spring, whats the worry about damaging it?

I even raced mine with stock springs in the Praire City Grand Prix last year. I had to roll all the jumps, but it still did good on the rest of the course.

I see big guys all the time riding CRF150F and CRF230F's and smaller bikes.

I would order new springs front and rear and at least ride the bike to break it in so when the new springs come you can just ride it. Actually better would be just drop it off at a suspension shop and have them set it all up. Revavle and springs.

Good luck,

--

Dave

Dave,

The 2004's came with the 88-250, which is fine...but the 05's come with an 80-250, big difference.

I can't ride on it because, hopefully, KTM is going to swap them out, and I can't have a dirty (or compressed) spring to give them.

Is that JMG? With that kind of logic you will need to replace the front springs too or they could break. The guy is smoking some thing telling you BS like that.

The only thing that will happen is the bike will feel soft. If your really worried about it I have an 88 you can use until they can find you the "correct springs". On the other hand you should respring for your weight any way. But to tell you not to ride the bike PLEAZEE.

It is definetely not JMG, I'd never deal with those guys EVER! Thanks a lot for the offer to let me use the spring, but hopefully the dealer will have the spring by next week. I don't want to say the name of the dealer because they have been nothing but helpful to me. When I bought the bike, they had two mechanics spend about 2 hours with us going over the whole bike. This is just all a minor setback, no worries.

I agree with Travis. For your weight, aren't you going to have to go up a step in both front and rear springs anyway? Is the spring you're waiting on the standard stock one or are they going to upgrade to the one right for your weight? Must be tough to look at such a nice bike and not be able to ride. Kinda like waiting for Christmas as a kid!

The spring I have is brand new you can just replace it when you get your new one if you want it was a freebe anyway. Your a bigger man than me I would never be able to wait that long to ride my new bike.

The day after I buy a new bike I take vacation and will drive upto 300 miles to ride it.

The stock spring will be too light for you as well, just get it resprung if your going to wait.

And be sure to give us a ride report when you do ride it cause we all want to know how the new frame/suspension work.

Cheers,

Motoracer1486, I think they have made some internal changes to the shocks valving for '05 which compensate the lighter spring. I just rode my new '05 525exc for the first time today and it felt pretty good in the woods. I didn't touch any adjustments yet either. I even have about 5 lbs on you. Play with it a while and then decide what it needs. Quit whining and ride it.

Travis, that's an awesome offer, but I don't even know how to change the spring :cry: I'm coming off an XR, so all I know what to do is take the gas cap off and put gas in :cry: