Sign in to follow this  

Clear lake northCa a good place to dirt ride

Some one told me that it was. But I could fine no info for it.I/E days you can ride and hour it's open.

Later's

Nutt

Cow Mountain is great... but not an easy jaunt in the park for sure... get ready for some serious hill climbs.

"Once you have established for yourself that you really do know your limits and that you are ready to tackle terrain that will make grown men cry, you will be well on your way to discovering what Cow Mountain really has to offer."

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2004/cowmountain/

There are a lot of riding areas between Clear Lake and Ukiah.

"CC Camp" aka "Middle Creek" aka "Penny Pines" north of Clear Lake, east of Ukiah.

"Cow Mountain" from the Clear Lake and Ukiah sides.

Stonyford is a short ways off.

It's open dawn to dusk, 7 days a week, unless there's been rain.

If you're coming from Fairfield, the Lakeport side is easier to get to than the Ukiah side.

Hwy 29 North, take the Scotts Valley Rd Exit, go left. Up a small hill, then road takes a 90 degree right. Don't take the right, go straight. That's Riggs Rd. Follow signs that say "U wanna camp" - a small camping place not related to Cow Mtn. About 2 miles down Riggs Rd on the right is Scotts Creek Rd, turn there. There's another "U wanna camp" sign there, btw. You'll pass by the camp area as you parallel the currently dry river. It dead ends at the OHV area.

Edit: Went there today. Bike broke down near the South end of the riverbed (arruuugh), but got the street names for you.

A little closer to you is Knoxville, just East of Lower Lake. I haven't been there yet, and so can't give a ride report.

Cow Mountain is great... but not an easy jaunt in the park for sure... get ready for some serious hill climbs.

"Once you have established for yourself that you really do know your limits and that you are ready to tackle terrain that will make grown men cry, you will be well on your way to discovering what Cow Mountain really has to offer."

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/features/2004/cowmountain/

Cow Mountain has serious hillclimbs :cry::cry: Beware of Stony.

I wouldn't say Cow Mountain has big hillclimbs and I have ridden some/most of it. There are some good technical climbs and trails there. It is a fun place to ride. Motomanfan lives really close. He can show you all around or tell you where the good trails are.

Middle Creek/Penny Pines connects to Stonyford. Middle Creek has a lot of tighter singletrack trails. Excellent place to ride. Pretty much everything except major hillclimbs. Challenging but not major. Watch the ruts !

Stonyford - on the other side of MC. This place has it all. From tight singletrack, doubletrack, fire roads, and yes MAJOR HILLCLIMBS. You could easily spend a few days there and not cover all the trails. Excellent riding especially when wet.

I hear there is a track that recently opened up near there. Try looking back 3-4 pages in the Southwest Forum.

Fryboy :cry:

Cow mountain is my favorite (havent hit Stony yet). I'm 20 minutes away, and will meet you out there if you want, to show you around. I also ride Elk Mtn (CC camp, middlecreek, etc)

Cow mountain is really, really freaking dusty right now. I cant ride there much until it rains (CHANCE OF RAIN TOMORROW! OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!). Trails are friggen hard in some spots. There are some hills that require two (or six) tries to get up. I've made it up every hill so far though. In the winter, the mud puddles turn to LAKES, and are fun as heck to attempt to get across. It can be done, with lots of momentum :cry:

I still havent hit all the trails. One or two I havent been on.

Elk is where we go when Cow is rained out (whenever they feel like it, you gotta call first) or when its too dusty. Its a tad less dusty at Elk. Higher elevation (SNOWW!) and it doesnt close to rain, as far as I know. We went riding during a huge rainstorm and there were tons of people there. Froze our butts off too.

Trails are generally easy for the most part. There's a few tough sections, but its more of a "nice trail ride" than anything else. I much prefer Cow. The mud gets super nasty later in the year. Its FUN! :cry:

I havent been to Knoxville yet, but its supposed to be pretty small.

Cow in the winter, when it rains (and its open) has a decent sized creek you have to get across. Higher 4x4's can get across, but you usually have to ride across, so bring waterproof stuff or just be prepared to get wet.

I wouldn't say Cow Mountain has big hillclimbs and I have ridden some/most of it.

Next time your up at Cow, try trail # 23....