Sign in to follow this  

Triple Clamps

I got my suspension all set up and tried different front tires and am still having problems with my front end pushing. I am going to get a set of aftermarket triple clamps, I dont want to spend to much money so I am looking at buying the Applied or the Tags. My big question is do I want a 22 or 20 mm offset? I rode a buddies KTM520exc a little while ago and while the front wheel stuck if steered faster than I liked. How much of a difference does 2mm make? :cry:

You shouldn't have abnormal steering problems with that bike. is your sag set with the correct spring rate for your weight. Have you tried softening the fork rebound, try softining it all the way and see if you get an under steer or knifing problem, then add rebound until it goes away.

If you riding tight stuff you can try raising your forks in the clamps to the max limit and test from there...drop them 2mm between test rides until it starts to push again...then revert to the best setting.

I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on triple clamps just yet. I have an X and it simply carves the corners and is super flickable in the tight stuff. It didn't start out that way though. I only weigh about 175 in my gear but the stock setting on the rear spring was way to soft. I had to crank it up quite a bit. I'm at about 95mm of sag right now and it works great. I have heard some guys are using 90mm and I may be slowly heading that direction. I started out at about 100mm, at that setting it was a bit vague, especially in flat dry corners. There are plenty of things you do with the set-up to make the bike handle right, I would try all of that before buying triples.

Just my opinion...

Doug

I have tried the different suspension setting and pulled the forks up through the tripples and I am still getting push, I know its the bike, Hondas are notorious for pushing as all my Hondas in the past have. KTM's and Husabergs are the ony other bikes that I have alot of time on and they dont push like the Hondas do and the cornering manerisms are different. This is the reason I want to change the tripple clamps..

Novaman 64,

I agree. I couldn't live with the steering (push) of my X, so on a friends recommendation, I put on a set of Pro Circuit 20mm clamps. Night and day better, now it steers like I hoped it would, and kept me from selling the bike.

A link is no different than raising and lowering the fork in the clamps, it just raises or lowers the rear, and also reduces "Trail". It also affects the rise/progression of the rear suspension. The steering might improve, but the bike gets "Busy". Clamp offset improves the steering, but remains stable at higher speeds, because it increases the "Trail". http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/elenk.htm

I went back and forth on getting triple clamps after seeing all the posts too. I finally got the Tag Matrix 22mm offset and 1 1/8" bar (CR HI Bend). I love it! What a huge difference it makes in eliminating the push.

Tag Matrix is great because it comes with the stem already pressed with bearings so all you have to do is bolt it on. Plus I was able to order it from Thumper Talk Shop at a good price.

:cry:

Cool, this is the response that I am looking for. I didnt know if there was a noticable difference between a 22 and a 24. Cuz if it wasnt that big of a difference then I would opt for the 20's. With this in mind I will proly be ordering myself the Applied Triples shortly..... Now I jsut need to figure out what bars and risers i want to run... cuz you can get stock, +10 or +15mm lift.....