Sign in to follow this  

Uneven Inner Damper Rod Length

I had picked up a pair of WR400 forks from a TT member awhile ago, and just got around to freshning things up - changed the seals/bushings/oil. I noticed the inner solid rod that fits inside the rod that the fork tube caps screw onto are of uneven lengths. When removed and stood up side-by-side the rods are the exact same length, but when inserted into the threaded outer damper rod on one fork leg the soild rod is flush with the top of the threaded outer rod, and with the other it's about 1 to 1.5 mm higher. As a result, I have more adjustability (by way of the number of clicks) on one rebound adjuster when compared to the other. Is this unusual? Do I have a problem? The forks seem to work fine.

Check and see if the rebound neddle is stuck. You should be able to push on the rebound rod with a finger and it spring back at you. I would check this as it might just need a good cleaning.

Russ

So, are you saying the rod that sticks up 1-2 mm is proper and the one that's flush is not? Where is the rebound needle? How do you access it to clean it? Thanks for the info.